• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Redirect from MFE - Responses?

Hi All
Just a simple query on MFE Columbia. So far i havn't been sent my MFE decision nor any re-direction to MSOR also. Although I am not expecting a MSOR invitation but would be great if redirected (just a positive outlook for an internal motivation) .
Can you call-getters and directee please help me with some info on their re-direction to MSOR.
Are they done with those invitations?
Can I wait optimistically for a MSOR redirect if god forbid not an MFE admit .

Hi All
Just a simple query on MFE Columbia. So far i havn't been sent my MFE decision nor any re-direction to MSOR also. Although I am not expecting a MSOR invitation but would be great if redirected (just a positive outlook for an internal motivation) .
Can you call-getters and directee please help me with some info on their re-direction to MSOR.
Are they done with those invitations?
Can I wait optimistically for a MSOR redirect if god forbid not an MFE admit .

Hi LPM,

I think the majority of MFE decisions have been made, whether that is accept, WL, redirect, or reject. The tracker for MFE seems to support that. I think it would be worthwhile to send the program an email ensuring that your application was complete and to ask for an update.

Regarding my redirect, I received it back around the 13th of March, around many other redirected applications. They asked for a response by March 20th. I haven't heard of any other redirects since. So I'm not quite sure why you haven't heard a response back yet.

Keep us posted :)

Hi LPM,

I think the majority of MFE decisions have been made, whether that is accept, WL, redirect, or reject. The tracker for MFE seems to support that. I think it would be worthwhile to send the program an email ensuring that your application was complete and to ask for an update.

Regarding my redirect, I received it back around the 13th of March, around many other redirected applications. They asked for a response by March 20th. I haven't heard of any other redirects since. So I'm not quite sure why you haven't heard a response back yet.

Keep us posted :)
I have done that. have already sent them a mail but alas, no reply :(
Now its apparent . Its a No-No.
Thanks for letting me know.
All the best :)

Hi everyone,

I see that some redirected candidates are getting interview offers. So I assume the admissions review is still ongoing. Besides the one person on the tracker, did anyone else receive their decisions or a notification for interview?

For those that had the interview, would you mind sharing what kind of questions were asked and what format it was in?

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I see that some redirected candidates are getting interview offers. So I assume the admissions review is still ongoing. Besides the one person on the tracker, did anyone else receive their decisions or a notification for interview?

For those that had the interview, would you mind sharing what kind of questions were asked and what format it was in?

Thank you!
I had an interview for the MFE then got redirected. I sent them the paragraph they asked for to be considered for MSOR and I got admitted a week after without an interview.

I had an interview for the MFE then got redirected. I sent them the paragraph they asked for to be considered for MSOR and I got admitted a week after without an interview.

Congrats!!

Did they give a date where you have to make the decision? And approximately how long was the interview?

The interview was about 15 min and I was given two weeks to decide. Good luck. Do you have any other offers by the way?

The interview was about 15 min and I was given two weeks to decide. Good luck. Do you have any other offers by the way?

Thank you!
No, still waiting to hear back from some, but am hoping to be able to go to this program.

What about you? Any other programs you are deciding between?

Thank you!
No, still waiting to hear back from some, but am hoping to be able to go to this program.

What about you? Any other programs you are deciding between?
Just got an offer from UCLA. It's not an easy decision to make. My preference is to go for MFE program but still Columbia is in NYC. What do you think?

Just got an offer from UCLA. It's not an easy decision to make. My preference is to go for MFE program but still Columbia is in NYC. What do you think?

Well, more congratulations are required! :D

I think you summed up the main benefits of each program very well right there (Degree vs Location). If you are only seeking employment in NYC, then perhaps it's a more even decision amongst the two programs. But if you can consider a job anywhere else, I honestly think an MFE from UCLA would be more helpful.

However please consider my opinions with a grain of salt, as I may have conflicts of interest in this scenario. I did try my best to be as objective as possible :D

Keep us updated!

Hi everyone,

Thank you!
I have just finished the interview. It longs about 10 minutes. The questions are all behavioral questions.

Did you get invited yet?

How come you still didn't receive a decision for your MFE application? Try to give them a call and also write to the program director. I wrote him before when the admission office didn't respond to my emails and he forwarded my email to them and they did respond then.
Don't give up. Good luck :)

How come you still didn't receive a decision for your MFE application? Try to give them a call and also write to the program director. I wrote him before when the admission office didn't respond to my emails and he forwarded my email to them and they did respond then.
Don't give up. Good luck :)

My decision for MFE was a redirect to MSOR. I haven't heard anything since the redirect though.
I wrote to the admission email address a few days ago and heard nothing.

Also just curious: in your redirect email, what did they say they will come out with the decisions by?

Got redirected. Sent the short paragraph four days later. Then got admitted to OR in a week. No interview. The whole process was quick and I didn't expect that. Probably they have a list and I was ranked low on the FE list while high on the OR list. That might explain my situation.

No still nothing yet. How long before the interview did they notify you?
Yes, they notify me. The seasgradmit sent an e-mail about the interview invitation on Monday. Later (at the same day), the interviewer sent me an e-mail to schedule the interview slot and I choose Thursday at my convenience time.

Back