• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Regarding the Math Pre-requisites

Hi ,

I am just confused of the pre-requisites for math requirements.

>>>>>2 semesters of Calculus-Does this mean that you need to take Calculus I and II?

and I think i got the other two right as one needs to take 1 probability and a Linear algebra course right?

Please correct me.

Thanks,
Sekhar

The more the better :) I think you need to take at least Calc 1 and 2, but in reality you should take 3 as well and as much math as you can. Probability and Linear Algebra (preferably with numerical applications). Maybe Andy can clarify this one better.

Thanks

The more the better :) I think you need to take at least Calc 1 and 2, but in reality you should take 3 as well and as much math as you can. Probability and Linear Algebra (preferably with numerical applications). Maybe Andy can clarify this one better.

Hi Yuriy,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I took calculus I only, so I will take II and III, plus the other two required courses. Sometimes, I just wonder, do you really use all those advance calculus concepts to solve complex financial problems? I am an undergrad student and taking some advanced finance classes, such as options, we didnt use much advance formulas.

Sometimes, I just wonder, do you really use all those advance calculus concepts to solve complex financial problems?

If you enter a Financial Engineering program or a similar one, you will be required to take classes like Stochastic Calculus. That class alone requires knowledge of integration and differentiation, plus it is based on random variables and random processes.
For example, how would you integrate
(\int X(t)dY(t))
if X(t) and Y(t) are not your regular x and y, but are stochastic processes.
So you need knowledge of Calculus and Probability.

Def take cal 1,2,3 while undergrad. I hope the new MFE students can give you some input about their experience taking the Advanced cal refresher.
Let's not forget about ODE and PDE as well. The requirement stated on the website is a minimal that most applicants meet but I suspect those got admitted took way more courses than the required. So if you want to be competitive, you need to take more courses.

??

Def take cal 1,2,3 while undergrad. I hope the new MFE students can give you some input about their experience taking the Advanced cal refresher.
Let's not forget about ODE and PDE as well. The requirement stated on the website is a minimal that most applicants meet but I suspect those got admitted took way more courses than the required. So if you want to be competitive, you need to take more courses.

Thanks for your great feedbacks. What is ODE AND PDE?

Sekhar

For example,

(\int_0^t X(u)dX(u) = {1\over2}X^2(t) - {1\over2}t,) (t \geq 0)

You won't be able to figure this one out if you don't know calculus and probability, because this is Stochastic Calculus :)

ODE and PDE are types of differential equations. You will benefit from knowing ODE = ordinary differential equations, and if possible take a look at PDE = partial differential equations.

thanks

For example,

(\int_0^t X(u)dX(u) = {1\over2}W^2(t) - {1\over2}t,) (t \geq 0)

You won't be able to figure this one out if you don't know calculus and probability, because this is Stochastic Calculus :)

Thanks again,

I took cal I, 2 -3 years ago, so I need to refresh it and then plan taking upper level classes.

Calc 3 is an overkill. ODEs, PDEs, or Statistics classes would be more useful.

Calc 3 is an overkill. ODEs, PDEs, or Statistics classes would be more useful.

Professor Dan Stefanica,

isn't MATH 3020 classified as Cal 3. If so, why is it required in the Math/Finance concentration at the undergrad level? Truthfully, I would rather take Business Stat 2 instead if feasible.

Professor Dan Stefanica,

isn't MATH 3020 classified as Cal 3. If so, why is it required in the Math/Finance concentration at the undergrad level? Truthfully, I would rather take Business Stat 2 instead if feasible.

MTH 3020 is Calc 3 at Baruch. I believe it is a prerequisite for some 4000 level courses that are required for the math fin concentration, so it needs to be taken beforethose courses.

Back