• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin Rejected and confused

Hi there,

I applied to round 1 for MIT Mfin and was rejected and was quite surprised. I was sure I would have received at least an interview/wait list because:

GMAT score : 740 - 50 Q (didnt do AWA)
UGPA - 3.7, Major GPA in Finance and Info Systems - 3.9
I had excellent LORs - 1 from my previous manager, 1 from the undergrad assoc dean of college (who knew me quite well), and 1 from my landlord who also knows me well and is a senior Private Wealth Manager at MS.
2 years consulting work experience in Risk, IT, and Management at Accenture (top IT/ Management consulting firm) - including promotion during my first performance year.
US Perm Resident, (Boston Resident)

anyway, after rejection i am trying to figure out what to work on for next year. There are a few reasons why i would have gotten rejected and I wanted to get your opinions on what is most important.
1. I have yet to complete Linear Algebra and Stats with Calc course (althot they are both 50% complete and both would have been completed prior to start of program)
2. do the AWA in GMAT/GRE
3. Remove the LOR from my landlord as it is too personal and get another one from a different manager

Note that i did not even receive an interview therefore i figure there must have been a big deal breaker. What do you think it was, based on the info I have provided? Anything else i can provide that may shed more light?

Thanks.

Programming experience? 2-3 semesters of Calculus?

Also, as a nice tip: Next time instead of a letter from your landlord try to find a contact in MIT to write a letter from you. Name recognition is a game changer.

Programming experience? 2-3 semesters of Calculus?

Also, as a nice tip: Next time instead of a letter from your landlord try to find a contact in MIT to write a letter from you. Name recognition is a game changer.

Ya programming I have covered - 2 semesters in college + some at work. Doubt that was it. Calculus also covered - up to diff eq.

I realized too late that the LOR from landlord probably will not hold as much water. I thought about it the wrong way - Senior manager at private banking from MS - I thought would be nice. He did highlight some of my financial knowledge. Oh well.

I guess my next question is I am considering applying to CMU, Baruch, a few others. But I will have similar short comings. At best i can get a diff LOR, but seeing as how i will not have completed my pre-req math, it will probably look bad. Would applying this year, and getting a rejection, look bad if i reapply next year? Would it be better to just wait until i get all my credentials in order (Also taking CFA level 2 in summer, pretty confident i will pass that)? I know many firms actually get a bad impression of you if you apply and get rejected. Does this also hold true for grad schools?

Personally, I am not really in RUSH for a quant job - I have a good consulting gig at Accenture and all. I would PREFER to start a quant career sooner than later and that is why I would apply just to test the waters - but if a rejection means lower chances of entering next year I would wait.

What are your thoughts?

I'm curious. How/why didn't you do the AWA section in the GMAT? Is it ever acceptable to skip a section or leave it blank?

Ask them directly... i tend to agree with the conjecture that they simply considered your application incomplete.

I'm curious. How/why didn't you do the AWA section in the GMAT? Is it ever acceptable to skip a section or leave it blank?
Not familiar with GMAT, I didn't know if you can skip a section on the test. How would they report the score then? If the test was not completed, they probably won't report it to schools?
EDIT: I google a bit and according to this beatthegmat blog, you will get a 0 on the report if you skip the AWA section.

I took the GMAT in college on a whim once and got a 6 on the AWA and 49 on the Q, but my verbal was pretty bad (I forget what but i ended up with a 650 overall). So i retook it and assumed that they would just use the best scores from both tests (sidenote: got 99 percentile on the verbal 2nd time around and didnt study... English is not my 1st language and sometimes I really get screwed cus of that). the GMAT section says the AWA is optional and you may skip (at least it used to when I took it couple of years ago).

I also think the AWA was the really critical missing peice.

I did ask directly but unfortunately got the standard "we do not do post decision interviews" response. This was actually quite a turn off for me because it was clear the person i was corresponding with, whom I had actually met in person and talked via email on multiple occasions, did not even bother to read my email. Oh well.

Back