• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Reputation of Max Planck Society vs. Ivy League PhD

Hi all,
I am currently working on my PhD in theoretical physics at a Max Planck Institute in Germany with a focus on mathematical modelling using machine learning. Meanwhile I have got interested in the financial sector given that also there you can do a lot of maths and now I wonder if I have chances to get a job as a quant in investment banking or in a hedge fund with an education at a German technical university and a PhD from a Max Planck Institute.

I have the impression that the Max Planck Society isn't as present in people's minds as for example Ivy League or Oxbridge universities are although being on par from a scientific point of view:

The titans: Institutional rankings by output and citations
2017 tables: Institutions - Nature & Science | 2017 tables | Institutions - <i>Nature</i> & <i>Science</i> | Nature Index

What is your opinion?

Quality, not quantity.

The number of published articles is an indicator of what?

Last edited:
Sure, the number of total publications should not measure the research quality of the institute. The second table in the first reference represents the number of total citations. Considering the ratio of #citations and #papers the Max Planck Society looks comparable with the other top schools. However, one should maybe compare by subject as there are subjects generating higher rates of citation (see text of first reference) and also by other factors.

Seems everyone is doing ML these day all over the whole world (hope it's not Tulip Mania).

What specific skills have you learned that you could apply in finance? Have you done (preliminary) investigations yet? I am not an interviewer but it would be one of my 1st questions for you.

Last edited:
Which of my skills is of value is actually also a question to me at the moment. I haven't really started dealing with the finance stuff yet.

The goal of my PhD projects has been identifying specific relationships and trends from existing data to both make predictions and understand the relationships on the one side, on the other side approximate mappings which are computational demanding.
Besides neural networks and kernel based methods (kernel ridge regression, Gaussian process regression, support vector machine) I have worked a lot on compressed sensing.

One skill I would mention is the ability to tackle data science problems from scratch.
I have mainly used python (daily) and also some fortran, unfortunately :) .

The book "Advances in Financial Machine Learning" by De Prado might be useful. Examples in Python.

In general, learning "bigger" languages such as C++11/14/17, C# or Java is an asset. Python is useful for scripting etc.

Last edited:
Back