• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Retake GRE?

Hi all. I took the GRE in 2003 and just called to be reminded of my score. I got an 800 on the math section and 520 on verbal. Would anyone suggest I retake the GRE to improve my verbal? Thanks in advance!

I'm not an admissions person but 800 math/520 verbal is really good, and you probably don't need to retake it for your verbal score. Most admissions sites for FE programs only post the desired math score and, regardless, 520 is a pretty solid verbal score anyway. Besides, as a quant you'd be expected to come up with pricing models or trading strategies, not quote Shakespeare. And you wouldn't want to risk getting less than 800 on math if you retake it...I don't think you can mix and match your best score on each section.

Yes, thanks. I took it in May 2003. Their website says you can retrieve scores back to October 2002 - in case anyone was interested

Yes, thanks. I took it in May 2003. Their website says you can retrieve scores back to October 2002 - in case anyone was interested

Some schools don't accept GRE scores older than 5 years. So if you apply for 2009 or even for 2008 admission, some schools might ask you to retake it.

I took GRE in August, 2000. I like my score; I believe Baruch/Dan would like it, too. I really don't want to retake it. I still have a copy of the score report in my possession. Would that do?

Thanks,
Don

Don, you will have to talk to Dan but the GRE scores are invalid after 5 years.

Back