• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Returning from Medicine back to Financial Engineering?

• Have studied Biomedical Engineering.
  • For the last 4 years had a few roles as a Financial Engineer (Quantitative Analyst) with progressively increasing pay and knowledge base (learning on the job).
  • Am about to embark on a Medical degree program at a well known top university, with a view of eventually becoming a surgeon.
Now in case things do not work out, how likely am I to be able to find a job in Financial Engineering again (new or former employer)? Would people in the industry give me strange looks?

Congratulations!

Would you get strange looks? Very likely yes, because your path (if you had to revert) would be a rare one. (But should you care?)

Would they take you back? That depends on so many variables I don’t know if i can give you a useful or meaningful answer. But if you’re very young, what you might think is a lot more money from your salary when you were 22 years-old and straight out of school vs 26 - may not really be that much in the big picture.

But maybe the questions you posed, while useful, aren’t the most important questions you should be asking yourself right now.

But congratulations again, and best of luck to you (and I mean that sincerely).

Last edited:
Back