• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Review of Birkbeck MFE program

QuantNet

Staff member
Birkbeck.jpg

This review was submitted on 19 Apr 2010 at 7:14:14 AM by a student who studied full-time in the program from 10/2008-10/2009

Can you tell us a bit about your background?
Economics undergraduate with accountancy and administration working experience.

Did you get admitted to other programs?
No

Why did you choose this program (over others, if applicable)?
Good balance reputation/cost

Tell us about the application process at this program
Some administration problems I had during application process
I am happy enough with their assistance in this process

On a scale of 1-10, how would you grade the accessibility of the faculty and staff?

Does this program offer refresher courses for incoming students? What do they offer and how much it costs?
Yes, it's taught before the programme starts and ther is an exam, related to the material seen in this pre-seasional course, that must be passed in order to gain access to the MSc

On a scale of 0-10, how would you grade the usefulness of these refresher courses?

Tell us about the courses selection in this program. Any special courses you like?
As many MFE it contains a Mathematical Methods and a Pricing course. It also has a Financial Econometrics one and two electives (Commodities and Risk Management). The courses I liked the most were Financial Econometrics and Risk Management.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you grade the flexibility of the curriculum?

Tell us about the quality of teaching
Some courses run smothly (Financial Econometrics and Mathematical Methods), but there were two with problems, since some of the lecturers had not enough skills to teach the material.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you grade the quality of teaching?

Materials used in the program
Notes provided by professors and recommend books (usual recommendations as Hull, Wilmott, Hamilton, etc)

On a scale of 1-10, how would you grade the practicality of the curriculum?

Programming component of the program
S-Plus, Matlab and C++. Around two or three sessions of three hours lenght each

Projects
Projects were proposed by students (individually) and according the kind of project, a supervisor was assigned to the student. Projects were either coding or researching. Industry mentors could be if your supervisor was a practitioner teaching at the college. In general terms the project was a part of the course very bad organized. It was difficult to get assigned a supervisor and most of them were really difficult to reach. Most of student did their project by their own, with little support fromo supervisor.

Career service
Almost non-existent. I didn't try to use it.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you grade the career service for internship and full-time job?

What do you like about the program?
Some lectureres are really good. Commodities course seems to be a course that few universities can offer it right now.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you grade the value of the program for the price tag?

What DON’T you like about the program?
The year I was enrolled it was not very organized. Some lecturers were horrible.

Suggestions for the program to make it better
Increase links with the industry, with talks, reinforcing alumni organizations and open-days. In my opinion this is the main disadventage of this programme

On a scale of 1-10, how would you grade your experience in the program?

What are your current job status? What are you looking for?
Not employed. I would like to get a job in Risk Management or Portfolio Management

On a scale of 1-10, would you recommend this program to others?

Other Comments?
I would say to prospective student, that this course is good for peolpe already in job market that want to learn more things meanwhile they are working, but if you are changing career, probably it is not the best option that you might have
To submit a review, click here

Very helpful feedback. Thanks for helping me decide whether to join this course or not.

Back