• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

North Carolina State University Financial Mathematics program

very nice article! I really enjoyed reading the thoughts you've shared here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I attended NCSU's MFM and think this is a good evaluation. As mentioned, biggest plus is the cost, especially for in-state students. I paid one semester what one class costs in a private school. One drawback is the program is taught by academic mathematicians/statisticians so some coursework may be very theoretical (e.g. graduate course in probability or math stat) and only certain classes apply directly to finance. Not necessarily a bad thing as degree is somewhat of a hybrid of financial math and applied math master but it's good to know what you're getting into.

Another point I'd add that is typically underrated is that there is a growing relationship with the program/NCSU in general and triangle tech companies (the new NCSU Math/Stat building is called SAS Hall for a reason--founder of SAS was a NCSU Stat PhD student) and Charlotte banks (i.e. Bank of America--BofA gave $1MM to start an Enterprise Risk Initiative in the school of Management/Business at NCSU).

Hi
I want to know some specific details in your comment that "Another point I'd add that is typically underrated is that there is a growing ..."

you mean the students will have more chances to reach industry?

Pretty good one! I have been searching for useful info about NCSU FM for a while. Thanks!

Hi, I am a new one admitted in the NCSU finmath. Does anyone have much more details about this program? Such as career service, industry connection and resources for international students.
Thanks!

I attended NCSU's MFM and think this is a good evaluation. As mentioned, biggest plus is the cost, especially for in-state students. I paid one semester what one class costs in a private school. One drawback is the program is taught by academic mathematicians/statisticians so some coursework may be very theoretical (e.g. graduate course in probability or math stat) and only certain classes apply directly to finance. Not necessarily a bad thing as degree is somewhat of a hybrid of financial math and applied math master but it's good to know what you're getting into.

Another point I'd add that is typically underrated is that there is a growing relationship with the program/NCSU in general and triangle tech companies (the new NCSU Math/Stat building is called SAS Hall for a reason--founder of SAS was a NCSU Stat PhD student) and Charlotte banks (i.e. Bank of America--BofA gave $1MM to start an Enterprise Risk Initiative in the school of Management/Business at NCSU).

Hi Ryan,
Could you share more information about this program?

Back