• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Rutgers MQF vs Michigan MFE

Friends,

I'm an International Applicant from India.
I've been admitted to both programs and have a difficult time deciding which one to attend.

Here is what I could find out about the placement stats from both programs : -

Michigan MFE : -
Employment Stats

If you click on Salary Information in Quick Links and see the stats for 2010-2011 batch, only 5 people from Fin Engg responded the survey with average Full time salary of $72000, which, IMO, is very less as the batch strength is around 50. There might have been more full time jobs but I have no idea about that.

Also, a chat with current student at UMich revealed that very few people managed to get internships this time but opportunities are slightly better when it comes to full time jobs.

Location : - Biggest drawback for this school. Severely limits opportunities.

Tuition Fee : - Same as that of Rutgers MQF, but can be reduced by $5500 - $6000 by taking more courses in first 2 semesters coz number of credits to be completed is only 39.

Besides living expenses would be less in Ann Arbor.

Rutgers MQF : -

Recently there was a discussion on this forum where the comparison was between UIUC MSFE and Rutgers MQF. One of the quantnet members TRAB had posted this : -

Last summer, 50% of students found internships. Because the last graduating class was in Dec/Jan of 11/12, career services is still collecting the data. What they do have is placement for the class of Dec 10/Jan 11. There were 27 graduating students, 24 FT, 3 PT. Of these, 20 sought full time jobs. Of these 20,15 had jobs by the time of graduation. The other 5 had jobs within 4 months after graduating. This year, their are 100 1st and 2nd year students. I can't remember whether this pertains to this year's 1st year or 2nd year students, but 40 students are from China and 4 from the United States. Given the fact so many students are from overseas, this can/will distort placement statistics. Until 2011, placement services were shared with the MBA program at Rutgers. No so any more. The program is building many corporate relationships. Companies come to campus for visits, presentations, meet an greets, and other networking opportunities. The career service director also told me that students have recently participated in week long shadow programs with Ernest and Young, traveled to Greenich, Conn and Houston, Texas to visit UBS and BP.
====================

Had a chat with current student who told me that internships are very few, full time jobs are 'okayish' and suggested me to attend UMich as it is a 'Top School'

Location : - Very Good. Near NYC. Good for networking and attending interviews.

Tuition Fee : - Around $60k for 3 semesters. Number of credits : - 45

Living Expenses would be high in Newark.

QN members, seniors and people who might be in the same position, please pour in your suggestions. It'll be helpful for all of us.

Cheers !

Michigan is a top school. However you should ask the director of the program or somebody in the department the following questions: do students in the mfe program have access to the MBA
Career services. Ross MBA is strong. Second ask what the placement statistics for international students is.

Michigan is a top school. However you should ask the director of the program or somebody in the department the following questions: do students in the mfe program have access to the MBA
Career services. Ross MBA is strong. Second ask what the placement statistics for international students is.
Thanks TRAB ! I've already emailed them for more info. Will post here if they reply. BTW, if you had a choice among these 2, which one would you pick?

Anyone else? Any advice?

Andy Nguyen How can I introduce a Poll for the 2 programs in this thread? I tried to edit it, but the option did not come. Does the option come only while creating a new thread?

Thanks !

Thanks Andy !
Yes that student seemed to be in a hurry. Or did it just for the heck of it.

Lets see if some more people can reply here. I'm still not able to choose.

Back