• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Seeking advice for a PhD student in computational chemistry.

Hello,
I am currently a PhD candidate majoring in computational chemistry in a university ranking about 50 in US, and expected to graduate by April 2015.
My current GPA is 3.8, and have programming experience in Python, C++, Matlab, FORTRAN, JAVA, R, shell scripting and parallel computing. I would like to switch to the area of quantitative finance after my PhD, and have made the following plans for the coming 1.5 years:
Coursework:

taken/taking: data structures, ODE, statistical methods, statistical mechanics.
to take:
in math: PDE, numerical methods, stochastic calculus.
in stat: intermediate probability, time series analysis.
in programming: algorithm, database.
in finance: corporate finance, econometrics.
Certificates:
C++ certificate in FE.
CFA level 1 and 2.
I am also planning to do an internship in financial area next summer.

My questions are:
1) Should I stick to my plans or should I take some other courses?
2) would an experience of participating in a large software development be a plus, in the aspect of programming? (considering that my current research only involves coding some small programs.) If so, I may try to switch to another research project which need more intense programming in C++.
3) Is an MFE degree necessary after my PhD to find a job giving my background? or I could start job seeking just by preparing the interview questions as a fresh graduate?

I really appreciate your time reading and giving valuable advice!!

Best,
Xun

Back