• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I re-do GRE?

Hi everyone, I sit on a gre test today and the result is a bit disappointing. I got 154 for V and 165 for Q.
I'm wondering if I need to do it again. Can you give me some advise? The problem is that I'm doing a full time internship now so have limited time to study and the deadline of application is pretty close

Below is my background:
I went to university in Canada, university of Waterloo to be more specific. I enrolled in Math/ financial analysis and risk management & statistics minor. I have a CGPA of 91.5/100
I've passed CFA level I and FRM level I. (probably doesn't matter but anyways)
I've done a computational finance research project (option pricing) with a professor.
I've done three internships in Canada, two of which were pretty valuable experience. One was financial risk management consulting at PwC (one of big four) and another was equity derivatives trading assistant at one of the big 5 banks of Canada.

I've worked with programming languages SQL, Python, C++, C#, VBA (although not important lol) etc.

I'm only applying to four programs:
MSCF of CMU
MFE of Columbia
MFE of UC Berkeley
MSFM of Chicago

So can you guys give me some advice? Based on my background and the schools I'm applying do you think I need to re-do GRE?
Appreciated.

It is worth it to redo (I did when I was applying) if you are sure you will do better your second time around. I spent three hours a day studying for a month after already doing pretty well to make sure I scored as close to perfect as possible - I would not have been accepted based on my first score.

If you won't have time to prepare though; what is the point in retaking it?

I spent one day preparing for gre math and scored a 790. Not the 800 mfes generally look for. But I was happy with the score

Back