• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I take GRE again and get perfect on math?

I took gre a couple of weeks ago and got 166 on verbal and 168 on quant. Although verbal is decent, math is a bit disappointed because it is not perfect and a bit below the quant average for MFE programs (i think average for quant is 169). I am aiming for CMU (top choice) or berkeley or princeton. I know gre is not the only criteria that admission officer is looking for, but I hope it could compensate my not-high gpa. (I studied in a canadian university of undergrad and average is 87/100). Besides gpa, i have around 2 years experience in front office (either sales and trading or portfolio management). but the mfe degree could help me look for jobs in the states(for visa purpose). So i am debating a lot recently if i should take gre again aiming for perfect on quant. but i heard its getting harder to get perfect on quant and it is likely verbal will not be as high as previously. also i am not sure if the time worth it for the extra 2 points on math...

also my second question is.. is 87/100 a low gpa? I'm not sure how to convert it to 4.0 scale. but my major was touch and most courses have class average around 60/100, but i don't think admission officer cares about class average by any chance. and i did graduate on dean's honour list with excellent academic standing...

any suggestion is appreciated! thanks a lot

Last edited:
Don’t stress! That score is by no means bad for not being a perfect 170. As for the GPA, it sounds high (vs 60/100 as you mention) and academic awards look great to admissions committees.

Reminder: Applications are evaluated holistically. I would focus on writing a humanizing letter and including other projects/competencies in your resume that can only compliment your experience.

Back