• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I take PDE before MFE?

Hi QuantNet Community,

I am now a Columbia student, considering study plan next semester. I am preparing to apply MFEs for 2016 fall.

I am wondering whether knowing PDE well is compulsory or helpful for MFE program, or more generally for quantitative finance career? What other knowledge do you think I am still lacking?

I am taking: mathematical finance, programming for quant finance, stochastic models and data mining this semester. I plan to take numerical methods and stochastic calculus next semester. I am still considering what other courses to take.

Plus, I have taken the following relevant pre-courses in undergraduate:
1. Math: Mathematical Analysis I & II (cover Calculus, real analysis, ODE, etc), Advanced Linear Algebra, Probability Theory;
2. Stats: Intro to Statistics, Econometrics, Time Series Analysis;
3. CS: JAVA, C++, Database, Data Structures, etc.
4. Finance background is good, because it's my second major.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
It does no harm to learn fundamental numerical analysis A-Z.

PDE is a bit more advanced. I don't know which MFEs ask it is used. Here are some theses several of which are PDE-based.

Datasim Financial Forums • View topic - MSc theses in computational finance

Thanks for your reply. And sure, I will give a go for numerical methods/analysis.

Actually, MFEs never ask PDE as a pre-requisite, but it seems many quant finance models are dealing with PDEs. That's why I consider to learn.

Thanks for your reply. And sure, I will give a go for numerical methods/analysis.

Actually, MFEs never ask PDE as a pre-requisite, but it seems many quant finance models are dealing with PDEs. That's why I consider to learn.
You're welcome
Many C++ quant library have a PDE engine and building your numerical knowledge incrementally will ease the transition.

A good model problem to learn is 1-factor heat equation using Crank-Nicolson and take it from there. If you understand the steps then you are well on your way to PDE Nirvana :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank–Nicolson_method

You're welcome
Many C++ quant library have a PDE engine and building your numerical knowledge incrementally will ease the transition.

A good model problem to learn is 1-factor heat equation using Crank-Nicolson and take it from there. If you understand the steps then you are well on your way to PDE Nirvana :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank–Nicolson_method
rutgers university requires pdes and odes are prerequesite before joining the program

You can take all the courses that you want mensa. In reality is, no one is going to hire you to do these in an actual job without a phd. And the jobs that require you to do that pde modeling is boring as fuck and you will be as far away from the money as possible doing that crap. I would mostly focus on practical math like data mining, statistical inference, regression, machine learning etc.

You can take all the courses that you want mensa. In reality is, no one is going to hire you to do these in an actual job without a phd. And the jobs that require you to do that pde modeling is boring as fuck and you will be as far away from the money as possible doing that crap. I would mostly focus on practical math like data mining, statistical inference, regression, machine learning and programming etc where you can sell yourself.

An mfe is totally fucking useless. I have one. Way too overrated. Doesn't even help you land a interview. Most prefer people from a physics background. Just get a ms in cs or math from a top school and ur fine. An mfe is just a way to make money from u while teaching u useless real world skills

You can take all the courses that you want mensa. In reality is, no one is going to hire you to do these in an actual job without a phd. And the jobs that require you to do that pde modeling is boring as fuck and you will be as far away from the money as possible doing that crap. I would mostly focus on practical math like data mining, statistical inference, regression, machine learning etc.

That's a shame. There's much much more to PDE than what you have ben exposed to. You probably had a teacher who did not like/know PDE?

Without PDE we would be living in the Stone Age, technologically speaking.

Last edited:
That's a shame. There's much much more to PDE than what you have ben exposed to. You probably had a teacher who did not like/know PDE?

Without PDE we would be living in the Stone Age, technologically speaking.
Show me a job in the market that requires it. I went to jp Morgan, ms, credit Suisse, and looked up jobs. There isn't a single job that lists that as a skill needed

Show me a job in the market that requires it. I went to jp Morgan, ms, credit Suisse, and looked up jobs. There isn't a single job that lists that as a skill needed
I have used crank Nicholson to solve finite difference methods in my numerical class. Bravo. Put that in ur resume and let's see if it gets u past the recruiters trash can

Last, but not the least, the ratings online regarding the two books on finite differences and c++ pricing is enough to indicate how other quants view the book. Sure, some might find it as a mantra spoken straight from heaven. For others, it's nothing to shout on top of rooftops about.

If you want to go into pricing, by all means. Learn pde. No phd? Good luck in getting that job.

In a nutshell, the candidate asked if knowing pde is helpful prior to joining mfe. Sure it is

Is knowing pde helpful in getting a job? Hell no

Last edited:

Perhaps you have overlooked it. Good knowledge of PDE modeling and/or Monte Carlo simulation is a must for some quant positions at Citi the last time I checked. Granted, machine learning and big data analytics are gaining popularity but that doesn't undermine the importance of PDE. At the end of the day it all boils down to where you'd like to work; buy sides firm generally want to hire statisticians and data scientists while sell side firms prefer mathematicians.

Perhaps you have overlooked it. Good knowledge of PDE modeling and/or Monte Carlo simulation is a must for some quant positions at Citi the last time I checked. Granted, machine learning and big data analytics are gaining popularity but that doesn't undermine the importance of PDE. At the end of the day it all boils down to where you'd like to work; buy sides firm generally want to hire statisticians and data scientists while sell side firms prefer mathematicians.

Good point. I will try to improve my Monte Carlo/pde knowledge better. I have been focusing mostly on statistics and econometrics the past year. So I think I underestimated the importance of those subjects.

Back