• 2023 QUANTNET RANKINGS OF TOP MFE PROGRAMS is now available.

  • C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I?

I received an offer for the NYU MFE with a 6k scholarship per year.

I am still waiting on decisions from CMU MSCF, Columbia MFE, and UChicago MSFM.

The NYU offer is expiring in 2 weeks, and considering it is my only offer so far (I applied to very few programs, and quite late in the year), should I notify the other programs above and ask them for a faster decision?

If yes, should I tell them what program sent me the offer and the scholarship offered?

Would love any insight.
 
I received an offer for the NYU MFE with a 6k scholarship per year.

I am still waiting on decisions from CMU MSCF, Columbia MFE, and UChicago MSFM.

The NYU offer is expiring in 2 weeks, and considering it is my only offer so far (I applied to very few programs, and quite late in the year), should I notify the other programs above and ask them for a faster decision?

If yes, should I tell them what program sent me the offer and the scholarship offered?

Would love any insight.

Yes, most definitely communicate this!

It is ok to tell them about the program. Obviously best to communicate in a way so that it does not reflect that you are trying to leverage one offer to get another, but instead that their program is going to be an essential component of your decision-making process and you want to know the result before committing elsewhere.

Honestly, NYU is pretty good. Among your other colleges, I would say only CMU is clearly better.
 
Yes, most definitely communicate this!

It is ok to tell them about the program. Obviously best to communicate in a way so that it does not reflect that you are trying to leverage one offer to get another, but instead that their program is going to be an essential component of your decision-making process and you want to know the result before committing elsewhere.

Honestly, NYU is pretty good. Among your other colleges, I would say only CMU is clearly better.
you should contact the other programs and let them know, I was in the same position and they offered an answer before the deadline
Welp, I reached out to the 3 programs from which I am still waiting for decisions, and they all said they couldn't guarantee that (or aren't able to) release my admissions decision before that date.

Following the advice from the CMU admissions committee, I ended up asking NYU if they could potentially extend my deposit deadline as I was waiting for decisions from other programs, and they also told me no.

I am not sure what to do, unfortunately, but this means I will probably have to pay the deposit for NYU and eventually lose it if I get accepted into a better program.

Any advice on how to proceed, and would recontacting the three programs above have any value?
 
Top