• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Some advices from GMAT 700+ scorers please

Hi

I felt disappointed and sad when each time I set for computer Gmat test, I socre below 450, I have been preparing for the test for 2 months by purchasing Manhattan GMAT strategy set (the whole books), I will set for the real test on march 7th , in 2 days, I feel blocked despite the efforts I did in the past 2 months. I scored 89/120 on TOEFL, but in GMAT I felt like an idiot. My questions are :

-Did anyone who is only 22 years old score +700 ?
-Can foreign student score +700? I m Moroccan and the second unofficial language is French, I've learned the english by myself.
-How many months it needs to master this test?
-Does this test play a big role in admission process?

Thank you

I can't answer your 2nd and 3rd questions, but the answer to 1 is yes (I was 21 and scored 760), and the answer to 4 is also yes.

op imho ur just dumb at taking standard test... maybe pursue other ventures instead

Your goal is to get in to an MFE. You won't be able to follow an MFE if you only score 89/120 in a TOEFL test. IMO, you need to improve you english. I'm sure that it also will be easier to get a higher GMAT score if you improve you english.

Hi bani_light, I took it when I was 20 and got over 700. I'm also a foreigner but studied in the US for a couple of years.
You're probably struggling with english which is a big part of the test and you are going to need to get that.
Considering your case, you probably need six months for it as you need to study English and study hard.
Regarding other responses, you are not dumb, you are just taking the type of test that does not play into your strengths/you haven't studied enough.

srsly, based on ur limited english experties, u prob better off pursuing finance at ur home country... many top programs in us r filled with 20-year-old chinese who can score 750+ gmat and 110+ toefl ez... no way u can compete.. just go home and figure out other possibilities

srsly, based on ur limited english experties, u prob better off pursuing finance at ur home country... many top programs in us r filled with 20-year-old chinese who can score 750+ gmat and 110+ toefl ez... no way u can compete.. just go home and figure out other possibilities

Man, I got 89 /120 bymyslef in french spoken country, Maybe chinese are strong because they have grown up in USA o any english spoken country and had good ( school system) . I'm seeking alternatives :)

I understand that you grew up in a country that doesn't speak English, and doesn't have an education system that can adequately prepare you for the TOEFL. You must be proud of your 89 on your TOEFL, and that is certainly a great achievement given your circumstances. However, you must understand that your circumstances will not be taken into account during a Business School admissions process, and you will be compared to native English speakers, and non-native English speakers with very high TOEFL scores. (A good TOEFL score for a non-native English speaker is 100+).

This might not be fair, but it is preliminary assessment of your ability to communicate and conduct studies in English at an American University. If your English is poor, then you will likely find the coursework of a business program very challenging. That is why they hold you to this standard. Again, it's not fair, but it is what it is--especially for a business school where you live and die on your communication skills. Given your English on this thread so far, it seems you still lack the basics.

I understand that you grew up in a country that doesn't speak English, and doesn't have an education system that can adequately prepare you for the TOEFL. You must be proud of your 89 on your TOEFL, and that is certainly a great achievement given your circumstances. However, you must understand that your circumstances will not be taken into account during a Business School admissions process, and you will be compared to native English speakers, and non-native English speakers with very high TOEFL scores. (A good TOEFL score for a non-native English speaker is 100+).

This might not be fair, but it is preliminary assessment of your ability to communicate and conduct studies in English at an American University. If your English is poor, then you will likely find the coursework of a business program very challenging. That is why they hold you to this standard. Again, it's not fair, but it is what it is--especially for a business school where you live and die on your communication skills. Given your English on this thread so far, it seems you still lack the basics.
What do you suggest regarding this hindrance, I want to be investment manager.

Back