• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Stevens MFE or Poly-NYU?

rac

Hi Guys,

I have got admits from Stevens Institute of Technology and NYU poly into their respective financial engineering courses.
Out of your knowledge and experience please help me decide which one to choose.

Thanks!!

Hi Rac!

As far as I know (Stevens is a partner school of my school EPITA in France), Stevens has a really good reputation within the state of NYC and NJ when it comes to computing and engineering. But when it comes to financial engineering, they seem far behind Reutgers or Baruch or even NYU Poly because of their career service. Although they seem to have a really flexible curriculum.

Good luck !

Thanks didje,
But after reading reviews of both the schools in this forum I felt that Stevens was better. I'm still not able to decide though :)

Try to look at their programs. What is the best for your desires ? Stevens has a very flexible curriculum, you can choose a lot of courses depending on your tastes : there is like 3 possible areas of focus into the MFE and within those areas you can also choose between 2 study plans.
Sadly, I don't know that much about NYU Poly so I hope someone who knows will help you more !

Hi Rac,

I'm on my second class @ Stevens and it’s been pretty good so far. I obviously do not know much about NYU Poly, but one thing I can tell you is that Stevens has it's distinct advantages/quality (and disadvantages of course) about the program that may help you decide if it's for you. For example, as didje stated, they have a fairly flexible curriculum. They also provide online courses which is the main reason for lot of students selecting the program. Ironically, accessibility to campus is excellent for people living/working in NYC. Stevens is also well known in Tri-State area for general Engineering. I've also noticed so far that classes seem more on the theoretical/proof-based side (from 2 classes so far so I can be completely wrong). This can be a plus or minus depending on the person.
I guess what I'm trying to convey here is that knowing what is important about the program you plan on venturing into should help you make the right choice.

Hi Dally,
Thank you so much for your response. Did you apply elsewhere for this program? any admits?
How did you start the course now? I thought Stevens has only Fall and Spring intakes

Try to look at their programs. What is the best for your desires ? Stevens has a very flexible curriculum, you can choose a lot of courses depending on your tastes : there is like 3 possible areas of focus into the MFE and within those areas you can also choose between 2 study plans.
Sadly, I don't know that much about NYU Poly so I hope someone who knows will help you more !
Ya it does have a flexible curriculum. But placements wise I just wanted to confirm if NYU Poly is better due to the location and the NYU tag

Steven's is good if you want to get ur degree online. Are you going to be doign this part time? I think NYU-Poly is better from location and networking standpoint. It will be easier for you to find a job in the quant field when you take classes face to face...get to know your professors...go to networking events in the city etc.

"Ya it does have a flexible curriculum. But placements wise I just wanted to confirm if NYU Poly is better due to the location and the NYU tag"

NYU Poly doesn't have a "NYU" tag. It, fittingly, has a "NYU Poly" tag and "NYU Poly" tag != "NYU" tag.
Further, NYU Poly is based in Brook-lyn ( not Manhattan).
Although it offers satellite classes in Manhattan, you won't be in front of the professor nor with the majority of your classmates.

The last I checked, students of "NYU-Poly" do not have access to NYU's career services office.

Do you know if Poly discloses their placement numbers?

-Best

Steven's is good if you want to get ur degree online. Are you going to be doign this part time? I think NYU-Poly is better from location and networking standpoint. It will be easier for you to find a job in the quant field when you take classes face to face...get to know your professors...go to networking events in the city etc.
@Mansi - I'll be doing it full time

"Ya it does have a flexible curriculum. But placements wise I just wanted to confirm if NYU Poly is better due to the location and the NYU tag"

NYU Poly doesn't have a "NYU" tag. It, fittingly, has a "NYU Poly" tag and "NYU Poly" tag != "NYU" tag.
Further, NYU Poly is based in Brook-lyn ( not Manhattan).
Although it offers satellite classes in Manhattan, you won't be in front of the professor nor with the majority of your classmates.

The last I checked, students of "NYU-Poly" do not have access to NYU's career services office.

Do you know if Poly discloses their placement numbers?I

-Best
@Poirot - I dont think Poly discloses their placement numbers. Speaking of the NYU tag, I attended a seminar of NYU poly recently and they spoke bout Poly like any another school of NYU. For eg. Courant, Tisch, Stern etc
I want to know if that is true. Because as of now the general feeling is that NYU poly is not really a part of NYU. There are still few issues that the merger has not been completed fully etc.

Poly is part of NYU. But so what. Chemical students never talk to Librial Arts. (I mean, never in some sense.) So, it is not a major issue. The issue is whether Poly offers good quality education and career services. I would give Poly education 70 and career service 10.

Poly is part of NYU. But so what. Chemical students never talk to Librial Arts. (I mean, never in some sense.) So, it is not a major issue. The issue is whether Poly offers good quality education and career services. I would give Poly education 70 and career service 10.

Poly students can utilize any career services from NYU including NYU CareerNet, career fair, network events and etc. However it did occur to me that career services at Poly itself actually focus more on other majors such as CS and EE.

Back