• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Princeton MFin Still Any Chance For Princeton Interview?

A classmate got interview invitation last week...so this has been a week full of torture for me. Still heard nothing from PU, even I submitted my application quite earlier than the ones got interviews shown on the tracker. Any one got any ideas when will be the usually last day for an interview invitation? What a horrible thing that a Chinese-so-called "rejection in silence" might happen on me...:cry::cry::cry:

Hi Mic. Where are you applying from, and what is your profile? I can give you a sense of whether this might be a ding or not, though you have to be prepared for the answer- it may hurt. If you're concerned about posting it online, PM it to me.

Interviews are typically finished by the end of January IIRC. And they often will contact you about a week in advance to schedule it.

I should caution that there are anywhere from 500-800 students every year who think they have a good enough shot at an admit to pay the $90 application fee, but there are typically spots for only about 20-40 students. So that means that the majority of students won't be interviewed.

In any case, I know what it's like to get that form letter starting with "We regret to inform you...", or to worry about getting it.

If it makes you feel any better, I was rejected over and over again by the Ivies. Both for undergrad and for grad school, and it hurt both times. Every time I got rejected, I got more determined to prove them wrong. And I managed to find my success on Wall Street without help from the Ivies. You will be able to too, if necessary. That is the mindset you need to have through this process. Incidentally, it's the mindset that will also help you get into Princeton.

Gollini, how do you know about the Mfin program at Princeton so well? It seems like almost everything you've posted here in recent months is about Princeton, like giving advise to applicants or just general things about Princeton.

Gollini, how do you know about the Mfin program at Princeton so well? It seems like almost everything you've posted here in recent months is about Princeton, like giving advise to applicants or just general things about Princeton.
hes a current 2nd year student with a return offer from a pretty good company

Yes, I'm a 2nd year student. But I should also mention that Princeton rejected me twice- once for undergrad and once for grad school (yes, the MFin program). So I've been rejected more times than I've been admitted.

I've been through the rejection cycle. Yeah, I guess it's easier to say that now that I'm a student. But it still hurt. And I've been there.

I don't think we can rule out OP's chances yet. But I'd rather have OP focused on saying "Screw Princeton, I can make it without them". This general mentality in the weeks approaching it will both help him with the interview and help him on the off chance he winds up like me on 2 out of my 3 tries at the school. Finally, when he lands at Columbia, graduates at the top of his class, and winds up running some quant fund, I don't want him remembering some decision by Princeton as a ruling about the validity of his career when I am trying to get a job working for him in ten years. I hope he has the confidence to realize he doesn't really need Princeton, that Ivies screw up on admissions decisions all the time (2 out of 3 times for me) and it's just two words on a diploma.

OP still has some shot at an interview, although the door is going to close in the next two weeks.

Maybe it would also be helpful to talk about all of the times I've been rejected when trying to recruit at hedge funds and consulting firms, for jobs I thought I was perfect for, with whatever recruiting boost Princeton gives you. I will save that for another thread and another day.

It's tough and I empathize with OP. Sometimes recruiters and admissions committees don't have the ability to see who you really are and the value in that. But we all eventually come to our senses in the end.

Last edited:
Golllini, cannot express my gratefulness for your kind comforts and encouragement. Many many thanks!

I am a current mathematics student in one of the top UK universities, extremely high academic records, not a high GRE, strong reference, a couple of academic publications (should've applied a PhD!), and several summer interns in famous global IB and Insurance company (technical work such as RM and actuarial dept.)...never count on Princeton, but will feel a little bit disappointed if an interview is not even given...especially some classmate got one...

Still keep hope alive...and might kill it a week later...

Any sports? Leadership?

Princeton may be shifting more conservative this year. One of the more common themes among some interview candidates who have contacted me for advice is that they have prior full-time work experience. Given your profile, I am also a little surprised that you havn't received an interview offer. However, you are an international applicant, even if from a school like Oxford, Cambridge, LSE or Manchester. And you're probably up against the salutatorian from Ecole Polytechnique where there are ~10 seats and perhaps 25 interview slots for all of the European applicants.

I can't explain a potential ding between you vs the other applicant from your school. Sometimes it can be random and you can't take these decisions as an up or down vote on you vs someone else. I do know that if I had applied as a European undergrad, I would have gotten dinged.

I can certainly empathize with a potential ding. In high school/ secondary school, I was known as the brainiac who got a perfect score on the SATs and was heavily involved in Boy Scouts and on the Swim Team. But I got rejected from Princeton while other students from my high school got in. Watching other kids that I didn't think were smarter or harder working than me traipse off to ivy league schools while I went in-state was a tough experience. (To be fair, I also didn't have the money for a private school.) But in the end, it didn't matter. When I graduated, I wound up in the same place as them, with $100K less in debt. It will likely be the same for you.

But I'm not sure they're done handing out interview invites yet, either. So as much as I want to offer folks comfort on this, I'm not sure anyone's been dinged yet. My hunch is that five people are going to show up next week saying they got interview invites, and one of them will be someone who posted on quantnet thinking they got dinged unfairly.

Last edited:
"Most... but not all... invites have been sent out"

Paul Tudor Jones:
'Everything happens for a reason.'
"So here is the point: you are going to meet the dragon of failure in your life. You may not get into the school you want or you may get kicked out of the school you are in. You may get your heart broken by the girl of your dreams or God forbid, get into an accident beyond your control. But the point is that everything happens for a reason. At the time it may not be clear. And certainly the pain and the shame are going to be overwhelming and devastating. But just as sure as the sun comes up, there will come time a time on the next day or the next week or the next year, when you will grab that sword and point it at that dragon and tell him, 'Be gone, dragon. Tarry with me and I will cut your head off. For I must find the destination God and life hold in store for me!'"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/life-lessons-from-hedge-fund-managers-2013-2?op=1#ixzz2qJnlKxEz

Back