• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Structured Products dead? Help Help Help

Are the Structured products totally dead. Will mentioning short term career goal in Structured products in MFE application get you rejection because:

1) Maybe they will think that you don't know that the products are dead and hence didnot do proper research before applying.

2) because they are dead you might not be able to get job in that field and hence why admit someone who will not be able to get a job after graduation.

excerpt from CMU MSCF Quant Net Chat - 9/28/11:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comment From Siyang
A relevant to nowadays financial landscape would be, how the regulatory rules/changes might affect the job prospect of MSCF students?

COMMENT FROM RICK BRYANT - This is a difficult question to answer, in part because we do not yet know what the new rules will be and, in part, because of unanticipated consequences that inevitably result from regulatory initiatives. But here is my take: there are four “sweet spots” in quantitative finance for which are students are eminently qualified and, in my opinion, are not going away irrespective of the regulatory environment: (1) “finding alpha” or in the vernacular, “beating the market;” (2) market making; (3) structured products and (3) risk management. While some of these jobs may move from one provider to another (e.g., traders at prop desks at the sell-side banks moving to hedge finds per the “Volker Rule), or out or one jurisdiction to seek less draconian capital or solvency rations (“regulatory arbitrage”), the basics of the business will continue to require the pricing of derivatives, market modeling and statistical analysis of machine learning. The skillset needed to perform these functions have been in high demand and, I believe, will remain in high demand.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick Bryant is the director of the CMU MSCF program, and based on his comments structured product will still be in high demand. However I'm also curious to hear the opinions from the people on the street, anyone? ;)

Structuring is dead. Really unless you are going for plain vanilla stuff. The days of complex stuff are receding. Banks are shedding people. To justify a MFE program is getting harder.

Back