• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Suggestion for elective course (pre-mfe)

Hi. I am currently a 3rd year math student in a Canadian university hoping to pursue MFE in the future.
I am able to squeeze in one more elective to my schedule. What course would be more beneficial in terms of preparing for MFE? Thank you.

(p.s I think this is my first time posting in Quantnet although I joined this forum quite some time ago :dance:)

<table border="0" width="80%"><tbody><tr><td align="left">STAT 340 LAB,LEC 0.50</td><td align="right">Course ID: 004408</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Computer Simulation of Complex Systems</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Building and validation of stochastic simulation models useful in computing, operations research, engineering and science. Related design and estimation problems. Variance reduction. The implementation and analysis of simulation results.</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table border="0" width="80%"><tbody><tr><td align="left">STAT 341 LAB,LEC 0.50</td><td align="right">Course ID: 011431</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Computational Statistics and Data Analysis</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Approximation and optimization of noisy functions. Simulation from univariate and multivariate distributions, multivariate normal distribution, mixture distributions and introduction to Markov Monte Carlo. Introduction to supervised statistical learning including discrimination methods.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Is 340 a prerequisite for 341?
Both are good but it seems you get more relevant materials out of 341.

Is 340 a prerequisite for 341?
Both are good but it seems you get more relevant materials out of 341.

Nope. 341 requires intro statistics and multivariable calculus while 340 requires statistics and intro to programming.

340- is more apt for students of CS who will be in fields like computer systems modeling,
341 is more for MFE line

Back