• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Suggestion

Dear Folks,
I am looking forward to get some advice here. UCB and CMU take GMAT as part of their their application and they say that quant score will be given importance. I wrote GMAT last year but my verbal score is pathetic. My scores are :

Quant : 50 96 percentile
Verbal : 20 20 percentile (very bad)
AWA : 5.5 (out of 6)

I am seeking to apply in UCB and CMU, coming winter. I also have plans to take some probability courses so that I can make my application stronger.

My confusion is should I go ahead and apply with this GMAT score or should I write GRE.

Also, what else can I do to make my application stronger ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think the answers to your situation can be straightforward.
If you don't like your GMAT score, retake it. I don't know if CMU and UCB only take GMAT but if they also take GRE, then take GRE. Get 800Q, 500+ V, 5+W. That seems to be a good minimum to shoot for.

Besides meeting all the requirements of the programs in term of background courses, do something that sets you apart such as getting an internship in finance. And makes sure you have an idea what you want to do and what each job entails.
I've encountered people who say they want to be a quantitative analyst working in a hedge fund, IB, or insurance company after the MFE program. It's just the most general comment I've ever read.
When one interviews with the admission committee (if one gets that far), making that statement is a clear indication of how clueless one is about the financial world. Strong applicants today need to make a case that they know what they want to do and why a certain program is better for them.

These are the advice I receive from an alum and i think they are as sound as ever.

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your advice. I am a working professional. Can you suggest me some internships that I can do in Finance ?

Also, if not internship, what else do you suggest I can do ? I have started preparing for GRE and I am targeting to give it by August.

Thank you again for your time.

Back