Supported Compilers

currentipnis

C++ Student
Hi Everyone,
I am ready to enroll in this course. Just wanted to confirm the environment requirement for this course.
MacBook Pro with gcc compiler which can build C+11 binaries using std=C+11 flag along with
emacs/sublime text as editor is sufficient or the course has some other guideline. Any feedback will be appreciated.

APalley

Hi Everyone,
I am ready to enroll in this course. Just wanted to confirm the environment requirement for this course.
MacBook Pro with gcc compiler which can build C+11 binaries using std=C+11 flag along with
emacs/sublime text as editor is sufficient or the course has some other guideline. Any feedback will be appreciated.
VS is strongly recommended (on a pc)

currentipnis

C++ Student
@currentipnis
You can use a virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, etc) and install Windows with Visual Studio on it and save yourself a lot of headache.
Thanks Palley and Andey.
I will have to buy a windows - Parallels/VMWare lic ?
Is there a student edition of these software ?
I will check if I can get it from Columbia Univ.

APalley

Many students have successfully used xcode on mac. For levels 1-7, xcode should be no problem at all. Levels 8&9 may be more difficult, and you can switch to a PC fit those two levels. Xcode is free

mez

Many students have successfully used xcode on mac. For levels 1-7, xcode should be no problem at all. Levels 8&9 may be more difficult, and you can switch to a PC fit those two levels. Xcode is free
It seems like Xcode is working on Mac, however, I am having a hard time running Visual Studio, I am not even sure if it's going work even. So the advice you would give me is to find a PC with Visual Studio,,,

Daniel Duffy

C++ author, trainer
It seems like Xcode is working on Mac, however, I am having a hard time running Visual Studio, I am not even sure if it's going work even. So the advice you would give me is to find a PC with Visual Studio,,,
This is a well-known discussion here.
What about VM product?
@APalley

APalley

VS cannot return on mac without a VM