• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Surprises in Probability-Seventeen Short Stories

Steep price for 17 stories. $40 for the paperback and $100 for the hardback, damn!!

and it's only 122 pages!!! if I buy the hardback I'm paying almost $1 per page. WTF!!

Each story is like a good meal in a first-class restaurant. The price per story is less than the bar price of a a glass of beer., says Henk Tijms

I buy my beer in bulk, almost $0.64 a can. You're saying this book is worth 62 cans of beer?

As author, I tried in vain to convince the publisher to set a lower price for the book. Nevertheless, the book is worth 62 cans of the best premium beers.

As author, I tried in vain to convince the publisher to set a lower price for the book. Nevertheless, the book is worth 62 cans of the best premium beers.

Congrats (from Koedijk) on the book

Last edited:
congrats publishing a book.

I'm afraid you ain't gonna get a lot of buyers from this forum. Tell that to your publisher. Also tell them, the people in this forum are the target demo for your book, and if we ain't buying, nobody is going to buy it. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Each story is like a good meal in a first-class restaurant. The price per story is less than the bar price of a a glass of beer., says Henk Tijms

Uh huh.

Sure.

How many of the 17 "stories" were taken from other sources? I've read at least some of them elsewhere. Seems like a compilation of interesting things related to probability you would find on the internet. I doubt many if any of them are your original work.

And you say this 122 page paperback is worth $40?

Uh huh.

Sure.

How many of the 17 "stories" were taken from other sources? I've read at least some of them elsewhere. Seems like a compilation of interesting things related to probability you would find on the internet. I doubt many if any of them are your original work.

And you say this 122 page paperback is worth $40?

You are extremely unfair. Read the book.

Last edited:
congrats publishing a book.

I'm afraid you ain't gonna get a lot of buyers from this forum. Tell that to your publisher. Also tell them the people in this forum are the target demo for your book, and we ain't buying, nobody is going to buy it. Good Luck!

I will forward your clear message to the publisher. Thanks for making this statement.

A friendly piece of advice for any author really... Be subtle about promoting yourself. A good way IMO is to interact with members concerning their questions. At a certain stage people know you are an author.

And students have lots of questions on probability.. It could be an opportunity to show how it is done.

This is the style on www.wilmott.com where authors tend to be very helpful in general. Using the Socratic Method.

Avoid 'cold selling'. I agree that the book is a wee bit overpriced.

My 2 cents
mvg

Last edited:
You are extremely unfair. Read the book.

THAT'S your rebuttal to me asking if anything in the book is your original work? "You are extremely unfair?"

And you're telling me to fork over $40 for a 122 page paperback book to see why I'm "extremely unfair"?

L. O. L.

Last edited:
THAT'S your rebuttal to me asking if anything in the book is your original work? "You are extremely unfair?"

And you're telling me to fork over $40 for a 122 page paperback book to see why I'm "extremely unfair"?

L. O. L.
A few final words from my side.:

1. ApolloChariot you did not ask if anything is orginal about the book , but you doubted whether there is anything original about the book. This is no excuse for my reaction saying " you are extremely unfair". My apologies. I can tell you that the book is original work , as was also concluded by those who reviewed the book for the publisher. Please have a look at the summaries, which I have included as pdf in my first item.
2. I agree with everybody that the book is overpriced (it is actually 136 pages rather than 122 pages, as erroneously stated on the site of the publisher, but still $40 is too much money for a popular-science book of 136 pages).
3. I don't mind if the moderator removes my not very subtle ``advertisement " for the book.

Last edited:
Book seems very interesting. I would definitely buy it if it was 14.99$ Paperback
Kindle edition for 9.99 $
People on this form thik a lot about how much something is worth. For most people on this forum pricing things is what they do for a living.
If I find a used one in that price range I will buy it.
Congrats on your work.

Back