• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Take Finance or Math before entering MFE program?

Hello. I am a prospective MFE applicant. I will be starting a two-year Masters program before I apply to the MFE program. I am pondering over whether to go for a MS in Finance or a MS in Mathematics. Which would prepare me better for FE study?

One thing I can say is that the one advantage I would have after obtaining a MS in Finance would be better chances of obtaining a job and better salary in case I decide to work before joining the MFE program at Baruch.

Doing an MS in Finance and then an MFE is a bit redundant in my opinion. Some of the program out there teach more or less the same stuff under various names. Of course, Baruch MFE is true to its name. It was called Applied Math for Finance but later changed to current name to reflect the nature of the program.

I would suggest that you look very carefully at the syllabi of the MSF program you are about to start, then look at the syllabi of Baruch MFE, if there are more than 50% overlapping, then you are better of going to Baruch MFE program now.

If you think you can get a job in the finance industry with MSF, then you shouldn't need MFE.

I think a strong maths background is a must. Advanced calculus and linear algebra are the cores. I am not Baruch student but I think Baruch has strong computing contents. Essentially you need a strong maths background + computing to be able to handle Baruch.

I do have a question is how much can "one" squash in all the knowledge....or just know a little bit after completing program...and not enough.

Back