• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Taking a 'Data Structure' course from CS department worth?

Hello, I am a senior in undergrad majoring ECON. I had all the prerequisites for the MFE admission.
I want to bolster my programming part.

I would like to ask that taking a Data structure course will help me with the admission?

More programming knowledge wouldn't hurt if your goal is to bolster your programming background. Not sure how it works in your university, but when I took data structures course during my undergrad it covered a lot of useful things: algorithms, OOP, different structures from arrays, lists to graphs, which helped me during tech interviews (ended up not working in the tech sector but I still passed some programming interviews from small firms).

Also some data structures courses seem to use more "primitive" (not sure if that's the right term) languages like C++ or Java, which would make it easier to transition to something like Python or MATLAB compared to the other way around.

Data structures are language-independent.
20 years ago there no libraries. Things have moved on.

A full course on data structures is not what would do in 2020. It is an STL module in Baruch Adv C++ coiurse.

Last edited:
It’s worth taking for getting a job, not much more than that. More quant jobs asking algo and data structures questions

It’s worth taking for getting a job, not much more than that. More quant jobs asking algo and data structures questions
Is it important to know the mathematical reasoning (induction proofs, recursion etc) behind these algorithms, for interview purposes?
And are these mathematical concepts important to know before solving leetcode type problems?

Back