• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Taking balls from a box

There are 100 balls in a black box: 50 white and 50 black. Take out 1 ball each time randomly until the box is empty (without replacement). Define status number as (1 + the number of times the colour of the ball drawn changes). For examply, status number equals 2 if we first take out 50 white balls continuously and then 50 black ball continuously. And status number = 100 if the series of ball taken out are white, black,white, black....white and black.
1/ What is the probability that status number = K (K is a given positive integer).
2/ What is the expectation of the status number?

(1) For the status number to be (K), the sequence of draws must have the form (A_1A_2...A_K), where each (A_i) is a homogeneous block of draws -- all white or all black -- and these blocks alternate in type. There must be (a=\lfloor \frac{K}{2} \rfloor) of one type of block and (b=K-\lfloor \frac{K}{2}\rfloor = \lceil\frac{K}{2}\rceil) of the other. So we need to find the number of (a)-tuples of positive integers ((x_1,...,x_a)), as well as the number of (b)-tuples of positive integers ((y_1,...,y_b)), that satisfy (x_1+\cdots+x_a=50) and (y_1+\cdots+y_b=50). But this is easy (bars and shorts method, balls and boxes method, whatever you wanna call it): In general, the number of positive (k)-tuples satisfying (x_1+\cdots+x_k=N) is (\binom{N-k+k-1}{k-1}=\binom{N-1}{k-1}). So the numbers of (a)- and (b)-tuples are, respectively, (\binom{49}{a-1}) and (\binom{49}{b-1}). These give the number of elements in the individual blocks, but we must also choose whether we start with a black block or a white block, and this can be done in 2 ways. The number of ways in which the status number can be (K) is therefore (2\binom{49}{a-1}\binom{49}{b-1}). The probability that the status number is (K) is then (\frac{2\binom{49}{a-1}\binom{49}{b-1}}{\binom{100}{50}}=\frac{2\binom{49}{\lfloor\frac{K}{2}\rfloor}\binom{49}{\lceil\frac{K}{2}\rceil}}{\binom{100}{50}}).

(2) We could use the result in (1), but it's much easier to use indicator r.v.'s. For each (i=1,...,99), let (X_i=1) if draws (i,i+1) are different, (0) otherwise. Then the e.v. of the status number is (1+E[X_1+\cdots+X_{99}]=1+99E[X_1]=1+99P(X_1=1)=1+99\cdot\frac{50}{99}=51).

(1) For the status number to be (K), the sequence of draws must have the form (A_1A_2...A_K), where each (A_i) is a homogeneous block of draws -- all white or all black -- and these blocks alternate in type. There must be (a=\lfloor \frac{K}{2} \rfloor) of one type of block and (b=K-\lfloor \frac{K}{2}\rfloor = \lceil\frac{K}{2}\rceil) of the other. So we need to find the number of (a)-tuples of positive integers ((x_1,...,x_a)), as well as the number of (b)-tuples of positive integers ((y_1,...,y_b)), that satisfy (x_1+\cdots+x_a=50) and (y_1+\cdots+y_b=50). But this is easy (bars and shorts method, balls and boxes method, whatever you wanna call it): In general, the number of positive (k)-tuples satisfying (x_1+\cdots+x_k=N) is (\binom{N-k+k-1}{k-1}=\binom{N-1}{k-1}). So the numbers of (a)- and (b)-tuples are, respectively, (\binom{49}{a-1}) and (\binom{49}{b-1}). These give the number of elements in the individual blocks, but we must also choose whether we start with a black block or a white block, and this can be done in 2 ways. The number of ways in which the status number can be (K) is therefore (2\binom{49}{a-1}\binom{49}{b-1}). The probability that the status number is (K) is then (\frac{2\binom{49}{a-1}\binom{49}{b-1}}{\binom{100}{50}}=\frac{2\binom{49}{\lfloor\frac{K}{2}\rfloor}\binom{49}{\lceil\frac{K}{2}\rceil}}{\binom{100}{50}}).

(2) We could use the result in (1), but it's much easier to use indicator r.v.'s. For each (i=1,...,99), let (X_i=1) if draws (i,i+1) are different, (0) otherwise. Then the e.v. of the status number is (1+E[X_1+\cdots+X_{99}]=1+99E[X_{99}]=1+99P(X_1=1)=1+\frac{99}{2}=50.5).

What am I missing? (2) doesn't seem right to me.

E[X1] != .5 ...the probability that the second ball is not the same as the first is 50/99, not .5.

What am I missing? (2) doesn't seem right to me.

E[X1] != .5 ...the probability that the second ball is not the same as the first is 50/99, not .5.

You're absolutely right.

It's still true, though, that (P(X_1=1)=P(X_2=1)=\cdots=P(X_{99}=1)), by symmetry, so it should actually be (1+99\cdot\frac{50}{99}=51).

Back