• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Terry Tao, the greatest mathematician in the world

A great read for many members here about a young math genius, the best of our time. I learned about Terry Tao in the year of 2004 during graduate school when my PhD advisor discussed the Green-Tao paper.
The article author did a great job making the material very accessible even if you are not a math major.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/magazine/the-singular-mind-of-terry-tao.html

Mathematics has been going downhill since the golden age of Mathematical Physics.

These days it's twiddling with symbols.

Last edited:
even though science has been democratized we still expect scientific breakthrough to come from brilliant individuals. We are still looking for the next "einstein", and since we haven't found him yet it's possible some feel that math and physics are not advancing at the same pace it did in the early 20th century.
I think the advantage of our time is quantity not necessarily quality. Yes, quality is important ( the geniuses ) but I expect ( I even prefer) new groundbreaking stuff to come out from collaboration between large numbers of scientists (less fragile).

Einstein was a physicist, not a mathematician,. And somewhat overrated IMO.

One question though. In the realm of mathematics why would the best mathematicians be the ones excelling in pure math domains and not those who worked on more applied stuff?

One question though. In the realm of mathematics why would the best mathematicians be the ones excelling in pure math domains and not those who worked on more applied stuff?

Coz they know math. The pure mathematicians may work in applied math -- as Gauss, Hilbert, Euler, Riemann, and Poincare did -- but they know math inside out.

the watered-down "applied" math taught in some schools r alarming. math got reduced to bunch formulae and students could only do "plug-in" with no ability to adapt

the watered-down "applied" math taught in some schools r alarming. math got reduced to bunch formulae and students could only do "plug-in" with no ability to adapt

Ask yourself how many schools are teaching analysis from books like Whittaker and Watson (A Course of Modern Analysis) or Titchmarsh (Theory of Functions). Ask yourself how many schools are not bothering to teaching things like lim sup.

one only needs to look at the different fields of mathematics Tao has touched to see how intelligent he is... people here saying 'he isn't as smart as Perelman' are relegating themselves to old women gossiping on a Sunday afternoon at a gathering.. quite pathetic.... that is not the point of mathematical discussion...

i think people hate math because they don't understand it. if i don't understand something, then of course i won't like it... the hatred comes after many years of not understanding it.. even people who go to graduate school don't understand math, let alone the simpletons working in finance. i would say that you're on your way to understanding math when you feel that you are completely useless at it and have to resort to going to older books, a la Bourbaki, Lusin, etc...

Back