• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

The Phd Dilemma

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Forum and I am facing a dilemma :

Next year I am starting the French MFE program Laure Elie, and at the end of the year I will have to choose whether or not to pursue my studies ( to get a Phd) or to work ( quant or trader ).
I am and have always been interested in maths (and managed to get good results too), but I am not yet sure where I want to work. So I have two questions :

1- I know that I can land a quant position with my Masters degree ( Alumni network, not presumption), but is a 3 to 5 year phd give me an advantage ( financially and in terms of responsibility) when trying to find a job? ( This may be a recurrent question, Sorry )

2- What are the best phd programs in the US, UK and how do they accept international Students ( criteria, grades, maybe papers?, deadlines)

I am not French but Moroccan (for the second question), and I thank you for this Forum and your answers.

PS : For those of you who don't know the MFE Laure Elie, it is mostly a lot of math theory and some applications in the finance sector.

Back