• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Thinking about another undergrad, finance related...

First off wanted to say that this is an amazing site, this is the first site I visited everyday. After search for a while I decide to post some questions that I am hoping to get some guidance on. So here goes,

Current I am in my last year of college which I have majoring in software engineering. However I have come to the conclusion I don't really enjoy doing programming because I don't consider myself all that good at it and there are some many concepts I don't know.To be honest I can't imagine anyone who would pay me to do this. On other hand, because I am not a person who like to quit and I can be quite stubborn at times I have continue to stick with it. I have done, classes from basic c++, C# to working with ANN.
I love finance/econ, I think it would be interesting to have a career in investing money (VC, PE, and Hedge Fund management) and seeing and understanding how it “works “for you or a firm. Dealing with and understanding risk and playing to my interest formulating “strategies”, for different market situations. Using strategy and research to beat my competition (Markets, other funds, even the guy next to me). Something that would allow me to use a personal passion of (Researching) and help me understanding how micro and macro econ effect markets (global, domestic). These things I have listed above are what I truly feel are interesting to me and I would enjoy doing.

Don't get me wrong, programming is fun when I am in a "Flow" mode, or when I have all the time in the world to figure things out on my own but soon as I start to get stuck, I start to get frustrated and angry but I can't seem to walk away and I sit there for +hours HATING my life and what I have chosen to do. After going through that for 3+ year, some good, some bad times, I just can't seem to see myself, as of right now one getting past any serious interview, getting a job or meeting deadline.

Anyway to make a long story short. I plan on relearning everything I was taught in my college program because to me, to quit would have been a waste of 3 years and a education. If I fully understand a concept I will just skip it and go on to the next. In the mean-time I was planning to go back to school and get a degree in finance and minor in math, or a degree in econ with a minor in math and just keep teaching myself programming concepts on the side until i feel comfortable and maybe someday integrate my hobby of programming into my new career. Sorry for such a long post but I would really like some advice to think about. Ask me w/e you need to if you think it would help formulate a thought.

Welcome to the forum.

First regarding you getting frustrated and angry, something to work on because finance/investing can be very stressful and learning how to deal with it in a healthy way is important.

From your post I think you need to narrow down your interests within finance. It sounds like you are in interested in investment strategy, but you need to decide on a quantitative approach which would involve math and programming or a more qualitative approach that could involve stock research and economics (George Soros comes to mind).

The good news about a second bachelors degree is that hopefully you can transfer in a number of courses (core courses, intro courses, etc) and focus on the more interesting stuff.

If you want to do quant finance and in a less programming/developer role then you will need more than a minor in math.

You mention VC, PE, and Hedge fund management, which from my knowledge is generally something more for MBAs.

I don't think you need to spend your time relearn everything you were taught, focus on what you feel is important. More than basic C++ would be good as would C#. ANN and machine learning are interesting topics and can be applied to finance. Look at the QuantNet master reading list that has some finance specific programming books.

Connor,

So you think the decision I have made is a wise one? Also I would ideally see myself doing more of a more qualitative approach that could involve stock research and economics (George Soros). However I am not oppose to TRYING to lean how to approach it from more of a math and programming side. I just need sometime to freely learn at my pace. I just don't want the programming side to be what defines what I mainly do. I would enjoy doing the research, strat and econ approach and try to integrate the hardcore math and programming in when I can.

By the way you mention I would need more than a minor in math, what are you suggesting? I still want my primary focus to be in w/e will get me to my ideal/dream career of either running my own firm or being very high up doing strategy creation for someone else.

Thanks for taking time out to give me some guidance.

if you have already a computer science bachelor, why don't you try to get into an MBA program? Doing another bachelor's degree seems kind of a waste of time from my point of view.

I guess a lack of confidence, Plus when I come out I need find a job, but as stated before I don't feel ready for a software Dev job. So I figure going back to school would give me time to brush up on my skills while perusing what to me is a more interesting and enjoyable topic.

BTW, who is paying the bill for a second bachelors? I hope you are not getting in debt just for that.

Alain,

I will be paying for it with the money I have saved up for other things along with working what must likely will be some shitty job. Since it will be a state school it won't be terribly expensive. What advice can you give me on my original post? I know a move like this would seem odd but it is something I have spent sometime thinking about.

I think you will be served better with an MBA rather than a second bachelors

I know this may not be your usual topic of which MFE program is better, but I know more people can offer some more advice on my particular situation. Sorry, If I sound blunt, but I posted on this forum because I thought I would get a wide range of opinions. People who understand the direction I am heading and instead of trying to change that, provide me with the best advice that direction.

I agree with alain about the MBA but you doing an MBA right now with no work experience would be pointless in my opinion. So for that option you would be better off working a few years first.

Is getting a second bachelors a good decision? Well first you may just want to try to get a job. Another option would be to get a masters, such as a masters in finance or economics (during which time you could brush up on your math/programming).

Using your savings/going into debt for a second bachelor is risky and not advisable. A masters would be more worth the money.

To really make a good decision I think you need to figure out what exactly you are interested in doing. For example, VC/PE would probably value industry experience and an MBA. A technology VC may like the fact that you spent a few years as a software developer, therefore allowing you to understand similar firms to make an investment decision.

Keep reading this forum and other sources on the internet. I would also recommend these books to help give you can idea:
Amazon.com: Liars Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on Wall Street (9780140143454): Michael Lewis: Books
Amazon.com: When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management
Amazon.com: My Life as a Quant: Reflections on Physics and Finance
Amazon.com: How I Became a Quant: Insights from 25 of Wall
Amazon.com: Nerds on Wall Street: Math, Machines and Wired Markets (9780471369462): David J. Leinweber: Books
Amazon.com: The Alchemy of Finance (Wiley Investment Classics) (9780471445494): George Soros

Back