• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Thoughts on U of Washington Comp. Finance program

atreides

Graduate Student
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on U of Washington's Computational Finance program. It is basically a new program housed in the Applied Math dept which is top ranked.

The program seems to focus on R and very little C++ (at least this is the impression you get from the website). It seems like at least 80% + of programming course work is in R.

> 12 -14 month program full time
> No internship component
> Pretty solid faculty. Good mix of academics / adjuncts
> Location disadvantage ? Seattle
> No information about career services

http://www.amath.washington.edu/studies/computational-finance/academics/

A former coworker of mine completed that program...or perhaps an online long-distance quick-version of it (the certified master's or something), but either way, this was a program recommended by the quant who originally hired me, so it's a pretty solid program as far as I'm aware if you're looking to get into the R finance universe.

The program just opened for admission in June 2011 so it's pretty much brand new. Don't know much about the online component or how it is related.
Given the background of the core faculty and their focus on R, it looks like they will try to carve out a niche and try to differentiate themselves.
I'll give this a couple of years until we have more solid reviews from the graduates, market reception, etc. In the mean time, anyone joining this program, please keep us updated.

I was looking at this online certificate it appeared interesting but I also noted the focus on R.

IlyaKEightSix, you mention the R finance universe, what is that? I thought c++ was the standard.

I thought c++ was the standard.
To really understand the programming language question, you have to understand the strengths and weaknesses of each language. C++ is standard for certain things, R is standard for other things.

And then some companies like to differentiate themselves in recruiting by using different languages (CS with F#, Jane Street with Ocaml).

There's nothing wrong with using R to help teach stats & time series.
R is really quite common in finance, so much so that the issue I point out as a headhunter is that R skills don't add very much to what people will pay for you.

I wish anyone can share their experience with the classes or the degree in computational finance at University of Washington, i am interested in either taking the class or applying for the program.

Thanks!!!

Back