• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN Time problem of MAFN enrollment

I have been admitted to the MAFN program and all the preparations are in progress. I am a PhD candidate now and was supposed to graduate at the end of August, just before the registration of Columbia. However, my supervisor asks me to defer my graduation by one or two month to Sep. or Oct., because there is a project in progress which cannot leave me.

So I'd like to ask if anyone know the exact time schedule of MAFN program and enrollment. And could I defer the enrollment by one or two month? (I really don't want to defer by one semester or academic year.) If so, what should do now?

So I'd like to ask if anyone know the exact time schedule of MAFN program and enrollment. And could I defer the enrollment by one or two month? (I really don't want to defer by one semester or academic year.) If so, what should do now?

It won't probably happen.

You mean such kind defer won't happen?

If I were you I'd email the MAFN office to confirm this (and not just go by what you read on anonymous internet forums for something this important), but yeah, I'm 99% sure it won't happen. Orientation is the last week of August, and classes start in September... you can't just show up in October. Also, it's a two semester program with mandatory courses in each one and I'm pretty sure they're sequential, so I don't think you would be allowed to start in the Spring-- you'd have to defer to Fall 2015.

**Again, though, these are logistical questions that shouldn't be too difficult to get easy (and quick) official answers to by emailing the MAFN office.**

Last edited:
Back