• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

top 20, US citizen, 166Q, retake gre? CMU apps due on Dec10

Hi guys, I'm currently a math major at a top 20. My gpa is 3.5, a US Citizen, and took the GRE and got a 166Q (161V). I got one S&T internship and research experience (posters and such). I feel like I could've done a lot better, but it is what it is. CMU MSCF Round 1 app is due soon, and I cannot take the GRE for 21 days, which is enough time to apply to other programs with a theoretically better score. Should I just submit a round 1 app with a 166Q or retake and submit for round 2? In addition, do round 1 schools take the majority of the seats?

you can still retake gre after the deadline and still update it to your round 1 application

Depends on your ambitions - if you want to be considered for Princeton, for example, retake would be in order. Only 20-25 students, they won't really take a hit to their avg score that well.

This is an older thread - so @PongoShib - what did you decide?

Back