• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Top MFE Chances?

Hey guys,

I’m going through the admissions process for some top MFE programs now and was hoping some of you could provide a profile evaluation.

I’m a US Citizen, I double majored in Applied Math and Economics at a top 20 US university and got a 3.67/4.00 GPA, and scored 170Q/164V/4.5W GRE. I interned in IB at a bulge bracket bank the summer before my senior year and have 1.5 years of full time experience as an options trader at a well known options market making firm in Chicago, and work on some small quantitative projects outside of market hours (basic python and R, just analytical projects not software development). In terms of recommendations, I’ll get 2 from previous managers at my current firm that should be very strong and 1 from a mathematics professor that I expect to be relatively average, as I did very well in the class but did not have much of a relationship with them outside.

I know that my GRE and work experience are strong, but what about the GPA? I know 3.67 isn't exactly bad, but it would be among the worst I've seen browsing through the resume books some of these programs publish online. In terms of programs, I’m looking at Columbia, NYU, Carnegie Mellon, UCB, Princeton, and MIT. Please let me know what you guys think—thanks a lot!

Last edited:
I don't have enough info to have a view, but if I did you shouldn't trust it. I'm some rando from the internet. Sitting in the cheap seats, comp sci seems like a potential gap. Might be worth knocking out - the C++ here has a good reputation, and you can (with a lot of focused work) bang it out before apps, or at least let them know you are in progress.

I don't have enough info to have a view, but if I did you shouldn't trust it. I'm some rando from the internet. Sitting in the cheap seats, comp sci seems like a potential gap. Might be worth knocking out - the C++ here has a good reputation, and you can (with a lot of focused work) bang it out before apps, or at least let them know you are in progress.
I appreciate the feedback, thank you! I'm not sure if I'll be able to knock out the course here before apps while also working full time, but I'll mention to the recommender that I'm the closest with that I would appreciate if he could include something regarding my coding ability.

Profile is solid. GPA maybe a little lower than average for the top ones.
Good recommendation letters + a good personal statement will help.

Does anyone have any general advice as to how I should frame my personal statement? I'm planning on stressing my work experience and desire to advance my technical skill set to the highest level, having seen from the inside what it takes in the industry - any other advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Back