• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Top UK MBA programs

I know this forum is for Wall-Street Financial Engineers only and am not sure if your open to other topics. I thought you guys in Wall street may have an opinion of top MBA programs in UK such as Manchester Business School, Warwich Business School, City University Business School etc

After doing some research i notice that the tuition is about half the top US MBA programs, and the time it takes to complete it is also half of top MBA US Schools which is about one year. The starting salaries are a little bit lower that Wharton or Harvard.

I am sort of concerned about opportunities in the finance area in London, does London have just as much opportunities as NYC. If it has a little less opportunities then are the salaries/ opportunities/anything of that sort comparable to NYC ?

I believe UK has more friendlier immigration policies as well. I would appreciate any inputs.

Immigration to the Euro zone (including the UK) is more difficult than it is to the US. I don't know if you saw last week's "Question Time," hosted by David Dimbleby, which included the BNP leader, Nick Griffin (BNP = British National Party; a virulently anti-immigrant party). The debate about immigration has again hit the mainstream. All Britain's political parties want less non-European immigration -- and this is irrespective of the skill level of prospective immigrants. Europe in general is a xenophobic fortress with a siege mentality.

By way of anecdote, I knew one Indian with a Harvard MBA who was working as a glorified clerk for the London office of a Kuwaiti bank. Whenever he applied for other jobs, the British employers would promptly lose interest when they heard his name.

With regard to British MBAs, if memory serves, the one leading the rankings tends to be the London Business School, but the others you mention are also clustered at the top. I do not think these one-year programs can compete with the intensive 2-year programs of leading US business schools in coverage of material.

Well times are tough these days ! In the US, getting visas are a big problem, i personally know of a Chinese who went to UT-Austin for his MBA and secured a job at Citibank but couldnt join because he was unable to obtain his H1B last year.

In the UK, getting a job maybe a problem but the visa is not. The Top MBA schools in UK have a placement of over 95 % so that tells a lot about their programs.

Originally Posted by bigbadwolf

By way of anecdote, I knew one Indian with a Harvard MBA who was working as a glorified clerk for the London office of a Kuwaiti bank. Whenever he applied for other jobs, the British employers would promptly lose interest when they heard his name.

I am not doubting your fact about the Harvard MBA. Sometimes people who study at the top MBA schools are rich kids and dont care much about their placements. It doesnt make too much sense to me to go to a college in US and look for work in London. Part of going to a top MBA school is the social network which he has sort of lost by moving to a another country. There could be many reasons as to why he doesnt have a full time job, who know the clerical job is a temp job and is looking for the right job until he finds one that is the right one. Only HE KNOWS.

Typically, the three main schools that make it into NYC investment banks are Cambridge, Oxford, and the LSB.

I highly respect Manchester and have a lot of friends who graduated from there, but it is not as well-represented here in New York. Manchester's international reputation in engineering does not extend quite as well to business.

I believe i may be confusing people. I dont intend to move to NYC after going to Business school in UK. I was curious about opportunities in London. Do the Merill Lynch,Morgan Stanley, Barclays etc of London do similar quality work as NYC and are their salaries / career path comparable to what we see in NYC ?

i really would appreciate more inputs if i can get any ! It seems i didnt get much comments

Back