• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Toronto MathFin Toronto MMF

Hi does anyone know how Toronto MMF calculate the admission GPA, do they solely rely on GPA for admission? I know Waterloo MQF tends to only look at GPA and they usually do not get the best applicants because they overlook other factors such as GRE, work experience, previous college etc.. Not sure abt Toronto though. Last year my friend applied MQF and got rejected, his GPA maybe the problem because he has a number of 'B' but he was from a top 10 uni in US, he was later admitted to Toronto, Columbia and UCLA and went to Columbia. This year I am applying to Waterloo and Toronto and a bunch of US uni and so far got selected for the entrance test for Waterloo. Does anyone know what this test is about? Is it purely maths/stats or also include finance? Btw my preference is still some top US uni though, or Toronto! If waterloo offered admission early, how long do you have to decide to accept its offer? I know Toronto only give out admission results in end March and so do other US programs :(

For MQF in Waterloo, it seems like people only have two weeks to decide whether to accept the admission or not.
And I don't think MMF's gpa requirement is that high because plenty of students who got rejected by MQF were accepted by MMF. However, Canadian schools make decisions solely based on GPA.

Hi does anyone know how Toronto MMF calculate the admission GPA, do they solely rely on GPA for admission? I know Waterloo MQF tends to only look at GPA and they usually do not get the best applicants because they overlook other factors such as GRE, work experience, previous college etc.. Not sure abt Toronto though. Last year my friend applied MQF and got rejected, his GPA maybe the problem because he has a number of 'B' but he was from a top 10 uni in US, he was later admitted to Toronto, Columbia and UCLA and went to Columbia. This year I am applying to Waterloo and Toronto and a bunch of US uni and so far got selected for the entrance test for Waterloo. Does anyone know what this test is about? Is it purely maths/stats or also include finance? Btw my preference is still some top US uni though, or Toronto! If waterloo offered admission early, how long do you have to decide to accept its offer? I know Toronto only give out admission results in end March and so do other US programs :(

According to the website, http://sas.uwaterloo.ca/finance/admissions.shtml, admission offers are sent only in Mid March. So that means you should be good :)

Yes, even though Waterloo said that decision is sent out by mid march, i have heard that they start sending decision as early as mid/end feb. I do think that Toronto is more selective in the sense that they look at the overall achievements of the candidates, but this is what I am worried because except for a perfect GPA, I do not have any relevant work experience or other credentials that can help me stand out from the crowd. Btw anyone here gone thru the MQF? How is the job placement process there? I saw some of the "so call" "successful examples" in their website but most of them are from the previous Master of Finance programs (before 2006) and their roles are not so "impressive". The only thing that this MQF is quite appealing is its super cheap tuition fee, but the duration is longer (2 years) and seems like it is more theoretical, sort of a prep course for PhD or research

I have my phone interview scheduled for the 21st February with Waterloo, but still no news from Toronto MMF. Does Toronto have interviews actually? I saw some posts talking about interviews at Toronto, but there is nothing mentioned on their website. Do you know when they usually happen?

hi J-R, I also have not heard anything from Toronto although I have bagged a few offers from US schools.. If they gonna release the results only by mid or end Mar I am afraid many people have already accepted other offers and may not be able to attend U of T. As for interview, my friends who got admitted last year got phone interview, depends on your background and location and where you did your first degree etc you may have different format of interviews so they did not have a standardized format but depends on each applicants' situation.

I had seen the post with Dibbs, but it confused me more than anything. As jondan confirmed, everybody seem to have different experience and I was wondering if it was possible that some student don't get interviews at all... probably not? At least, I am outside Toronto, so I should get the easy qualitative phone interview :)

Concerning the time line, I just realized that there is an Interview Date entry in the note of the tracker. According to that, nobody got an interview before the end of February, and many got their interview late March and even in April! People then get an answer within few days. As jondan said, they must lose a fair amount of good candidates by giving results so late. I just hope that Waterloo leaves enough time before the accepting deadline to hear back from Toronto... Always good to have a choice.

this year Waterloo is fast in their processing, I think they lost many candidates to Toronto and other top US Uni last year so they are faster this time to let people decide quick. But I am not sure that Toronto will give out results before deadline for Waterloo since they are like more selective and given a choice, many will choose Toronto instead of Waterloo. Actually at this point I am extremely confused on whether or not to do a MFE in Canada, I've got some offers from top programs in US but my concern is really the astronautical cost of tuition fee and the cost of relocating to the States for the degree. If not for financial constraints it will be very clear cut decision since most of the big names in IB and Finance are mostly in US, a degree from Canada seems less competitive if one want to move into this competitive field outside of Canada. However, if risk and return is taken into account, a degree from top programs in US will open a much wider doors to a career in quant and IB and also in compensation and career mobilization

Back