• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Trading Strategist (phone interview)

DanM

Math Student
I have a phone interview coming up for the role of Trading Strategist with a quantitative fund. This is the description:

• develop trading signals (alpha generation)
• work on projects focused on improving execution and trading strategies
• explore large data sets
• investigate and implement recent academic research
• apply machine learning techniques to alpha discovery and portfolio optimization
• design, implement and execute massively parallel backtest and production environments
• an excellent opportunity for new graduates to learn cutting-edge quantitative finance theory and practice while building a rewarding, long-term career

What kind of questions should I be expecting? The position is entry level (for undergrad.)

Looks like a risky proposition to me. They put you on a 3 month internship after which they can just throw you out? Why would anyone want to risk giving up on the job hunt, only to get thrown out on their behind?

DanM: I think you only need to review a couple of classic brainteasers(e.g, some problems from chap.1 and 4 of "Heard on the Street" or problems over the internet) and review basic concept of probability. Most importantly, relax and enjoy the problems:). Btw, what firm are u applying for? Good luck!
@llyaKEightSix: are u guessing it's an internship? It might be a full-time position though.

DanM: I think you only need to review a couple of classic brainteasers(e.g, some problems from chap.1 and 4 of "Heard on the Street" or problems over the internet) and review basic concept of probability. Most importantly, relax and enjoy the problems:). Btw, what firm are u applying for? Good luck!
@llyaKEightSix: are u guessing it's an internship? It might be a full-time position though.

I myself was interested in it, and copy/pasted the text into google. It came right up in the first results of the search. Unless you're extremely experienced, they put you on a 3-month trial period first.

There were no brainteasers. I was emailed a "test" to complete in MATLAB and was told that if I pass it, I would be given a bigger project to complete. Their decision will be based on that.

Sounds like a small fund. Goodluck with the test.

Yeah in that case, I'd be wary. If they don't have the resources devoted to your training, I'd start looking elsewhere. You're too young to be a walking-talking-know-it-all-expert.

There were no brainteasers. I was emailed a "test" to complete in MATLAB and was told that if I pass it, I would be given a bigger project to complete. Their decision will be based on that.

How long do you have until you submit it? Just curious, does the project require any math though?
@IIyaKEightSix: good point! I completely forgot about the usefulness of Google:D

Back