• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

7.7 Trading Wintern London

Hi,

I can't find much about the London winternship. I just finished first year of maths from one of the European universities mentioned on their list of "recent campus visits", applied for the quant trading role at London on a whim and got a first interview scheduled very fast. (Is it normal to get one the same day?)

How many rounds for the winternship? 3?
Any idea what the intern salary is for London?
What are some easy online resources for Fermi problems?
How much does your CV matter? I have a strong background in maths, probably not special by JS standards, but no experience with finance.

Thanks! I'd be grateful for any help.

Last edited:
Jane Street came to my Sydney based university for our summer (your winter) intern program.

It is not surprising to get an interview scheduled fast - they are always on the look our for exceptional (I mean that sincerely) talent.

Usually there are several phone interviews that get increasingly difficult, but the final round is usually in person. For Fermi problems you can just make them up yourself, and then check the answer later... there are several physics forums online for this too.

They don't care if you don't have finance experience. They need you to be able to do maths and do it quickly. Mental arithmetic is a base line requirement, followed by problem solving skills.

I knew I wasn't good enough for JS, so applied to banks instead - you should understand where you sit amongst your fellow mathematicians...

Jane Street came to my Sydney based university for our summer (your winter) intern program.

It is not surprising to get an interview scheduled fast - they are always on the look our for exceptional (I mean that sincerely) talent.

Usually there are several phone interviews that get increasingly difficult, but the final round is usually in person. For Fermi problems you can just make them up yourself, and then check the answer later... there are several physics forums online for this too.

They don't care if you don't have finance experience. They need you to be able to do maths and do it quickly. Mental arithmetic is a base line requirement, followed by problem solving skills.

I knew I wasn't good enough for JS, so applied to banks instead - you should understand where you sit amongst your fellow mathematicians...

I'd heard they do the in person interviews for summer only? It might have been different for people from your uni because December-Feb is the long internship they offer Australians? Do you know anyone who went to London to work for them? Most of the information I can find about accommodation, etc. seems to be from NYC.

And thanks, btw!

Back