• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

transfer from other major?

is it possible transfer from another major of baruch? anyone heard of that?

I know MFE is more on the quan side, but with very strong finance background could be a plus?

thanks for any cents

Hi Don,
MFE requires a bachelor degree prior to applying. I take it that you are doin some major as a Baruch undergrad and plan to study MFE ?
It doesn't matter which degree you have as undergrade as long as you satisfy the requirements. And more often than not, the applicants with quant background are the ones with best chance.
My 2 cents

thanks Andy

I have just accepted for a MS program of baruch this fall. Admittedly, I have not realised that baruch has its financial engineering program. Seemingly if I switch to MFE will give me more quan advantage. I have worked long in finance, buyside portfolio management. When I read a interest rate option book, I found it is okay for me to price a option-embodied bond with something. But the course list of a lot of MATH, I am not sure is it friendly to a non-math/quantative?

before make decision, should I talk to the department or graduate services? or heard of any student with weak math background survived?

I see what you mean. MFE is a very selective program and DOES NOT allow transfer. You have to apply to the program as everyone else.
As for the background, I'm sure you are well-versed in the area of finance but math/programming is just as important.
Probably you can take math/programming courses in your current MS program and apply for MFE in 2008. Deadline is April 30, 2008.
The person you should talk to is Prof. Stefanica - Director of the Baruch MFE program. Arrange to talk to him asap.

By the way, how did you know about MFE program (website/newspaper/friends) ? What suggestions you think would help to spread the words about our program to other Baruch undergrads ? I can use those inputs ;)
Thanks

If you change to MFE, the good news is that you can transfer up to 12 credits from your other program. I was doing a masters in economics before changing to MFE. But as Andy says, you have to apply from scratch.

The beauty of the MFE program is that you might want to take even more courses than required :)

just find the MSFE in under Weissman school, that's the reason that I applied for zicklin business school, never seeing the program!

you cannot transfer into the MFE program. you need to apply for Fall 2008 admission.

Back