• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE UCB 3rd interview

Hello!!!

I'm one of the applicants of round 2 UCB MFE.
During round two I had two technical interview and last interview with Linda.
After that, I was put on a hold.

Is there anybody put on a hold after interview with Linda??
or anybody knows someone put on a hold after interview with Linda?
I want to know it is a rare case.

Thank you in advance.

What are the prerequisite list of items mentioned on your application?

Hi dexter!!!
their requirement for me was
1. take R, Python get b or higher
2. take preprogram courses
3. retake gre and raise verbal and writing to the 70 percentile or higher
4. take partial differntial equation courses
5. read heard on the ~~~

I try to find partial differntial equation courses but it is really hard to find. Columbia vidoe network is way too expensive to take. I'm not sure you are on the same boat as me. But, do you know where I can find partial differntial equation courses?

I think that their requirements acutually help candidates to improve themselves.
I know that in order to get job I must not just familiar but must be good at programming. Thus, taking R, Python would help me.
Also, by taking pre program courses, I could refresh my math and programming skills, which I got to imporve.

I like their way of recommendation for students regardless of my admission conditions because I can get better prepared for actual job. So, I will do my best to get improve.

Last edited:
Hi dexter!!!
their requirement for me was
1. take R, Python get b or higher
2. take preprogram courses
3. retake gre and raise verbal and writing to the 70 percentile or higher
4. take partial differntial equation courses
5. read heard on the ~~~

I try to find partial differntial equation courses but it is really hard to find. Columbia vidoe network is way too expensive to take. I'm not sure you are on the same boat as me. But, do you know where I can find partial differntial equation courses?

Hi, I have been assigned the PDE, too. I find a less expensive place to take the course, please see the link below:
http://www.athabascau.ca/syllabi/math/math476.php

Thank you Eric Cui. I had really hard time finding PDE course. I tried to find any local universities offering PDE. But, I could not find one. I viwed your link and I think that it is great option.

Do you have any other conditions to meet? Something like python and R. I asked to UCB whether it is ok to take python and R through coursera.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you Eric Cui. I had really hard time finding PDE course. I tried to find any local universities offering PDE. But, I could not find one. I viwed your link and I think that it is great option.

Do you have any other conditions to meet? Something like python and R. I asked to UCB whether it is ok to take python and R through coursera.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, there's this Python course from EdX that maybe helpful to you: https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-0

Hello Le Van!!! I really appreciate your help!!
I think your suggestion is great.
I will ask them whetehr this meet their requirement.
Thank you!!! I really appreaiciate your help

No problem, glad I could help. All the best for your application to UCB.

Thank you!!!
Are you applying to UCB? If you are applying, it would be great to meet you at UCB if we both admitted.

No, I'm not I'm still in my junior year in college, though I'm planning to.

Completing those conditions are definitely helpful for your future career. But that may not be very helpful for changing your status from on- hold to admit. Similar conditions are required for admitted students as well.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I have been assigned python too. The following is the reply from the office:

"For the programming courses, you can take Python through the Berkeley Extension program. Matlab can be taken through Open Course Ware at MIT, and R can be taken through Coursera. "

I really appreiciate your help Eric Cui. You saved my life!!!!
I'm really glad that now I know where to take courses.

Now, it's time to work on stuff. I really want to improve myself for programming and math, which are critical skill sets for jobs. Thank you everyone for sharing information. It would be great see you all at UCB.

You are welcome, guys! Btw, if you have any questions, calling the office might be a better choice. They seem to be quite busy and ignore emails sometimes.
Hope to see you all next year at Berkeley!:):):)

Hey guys

Did you get a response from Berkeley? I was put on hold as well with the same requirements. Was wondering if you got the chance to fulfill those requirements and if it affected their decision?

Thank you.

I got rejection last week. I know one guy received offer early last week. I heard that fulfilling those requirements are not much related to their decisions. Some hold candidates received offer without making any progress.

I got rejection last week. I know one guy received offer early last week. I heard that fulfilling those requirements are not much related to their decisions. Some hold candidates received offer without making any progress.
Thanks for your reply Zeyun. Did u fulfill those requirements? How long were u on hold?

Back