• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE UCB MFE r3

Have Anyone who is the third-round applicant for the MFE program in UCB received an interview?

It should be about your past experience.

Does anyone know any details about the second interview?

I will be interviewed later. Could you please tell me some details about the interview?what kind of questions may they ask?
It's a matter of how wide the knowledge you have. And highly depend on the interviewer.
I was quizzed on the recent market, basic quant finance, statistics, simple coding, machine learning, and a small brain teaser. I was told there wasn’t a second-round unless necessary.

It's a matter of how wide the knowledge you have. And highly depend on the interviewer.
I was quizzed on the recent market, basic quant finance, statistics, simple coding, machine learning, and a small brain teaser. I was told there wasn’t a second-round unless necessary.
Thank you so much for sharing. I just got interviewed. By the way, did you get the final decision from the committee?

I applied in the third round and had my interview pretty soon after applying. I prepped a lot for Math, Stats, Prob and logic puzzles, but since I have a PhD in a quantitative field, the interviewer just skipped all of the math and problem solving related questions except for asking me to compute a pretty simple derivative.

I don't have a background in Finance or Programming, so my interview questions focused mainly on those topics. There was a lot I didn't know, so I ended up getting wait-listed with a bunch of pre-reqs related to finance, machine learning and programming.

The interview seems to be two things:
1. Weed out people who really aren't fit for the program (i.e. they may assess your aptitude in problem solving and mathematics).
2. Really gauge where you're at and what would best help you prepare to succeed (if you were eventually to be offered admission).

For those applying in Round 4, this may be helpful to understand that each interview is different and really is tailored to the individual.

Back