• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE UCB MFE vs CMU MSCF

UCB MFE vs CMU MSCF

• Total voters
Hi everyone, I am a fresh graduate and I got an admit from UCB MFE(2020) as well as CMU MSCF. I wanted to know that for a fresh graduate which will be a better option?
I am currently inclining towards UCB but my qualm is that it starts in March which is a bit odd and I also found out that students in UCB mostly have some experience.

I would also weight that CMU is 1.5 years vs UCB's 1 year. Given that costs are similar, why not have more of a university experience?

Hi everyone, I am a fresh graduate and I got an admit from UCB MFE(2020) as well as CMU MSCF. I wanted to know that for a fresh graduate which will be a better option?
I am currently inclining towards UCB but my qualm is that it starts in March which is a bit odd and I also found out that students in UCB mostly have some experience.
I feel the spring start gives UCB an advantage in that no one is competing against them at the time. Both are good depends on you

I feel the spring start gives UCB an advantage in that no one is competing against them at the time. Both are good depends on you
Completely agreed. More internship opportunities, less competition and UCB (Linda in particular) is known to have strong industry connections.

The less competition point is a fair one, assuming hiring is constant throughout the year. If there's less competition, but also less availability of positions because of you're outside the recruiting calendar, then the timing ceases to be an advantage.

Maybe compare the course plans you'd take under both programs? It's a big investment, so content would be the main thing I'd orient on, especially if I was early career.

Back