COMPARE UCB MFE vs Columbia MFE

UCB MFE vs Columbia MFE


  • Total voters
    58
  • Poll closed .

bodeng

New Member
I am a fresh grad who received admission from UCB MFE and Columbia MFE. Can you guys share the pros and cons of these programs?
 

kkkznl

New Member
Wow! Congrats! I thought that the decisions will be out this Friday. Do they send out acceptance in batches? idk I just did an interview tonight lol. Btw I would choose Berkeley over Columbia MFE. I heard the internship rate for Columbia's MFE program is not that high this year. Berkeley's unique academic schedule allows students to do off-cycle internships. And I heard the career office at Berkeley is much better. idk
 

bodeng

New Member
Wow! Congrats! I thought that the decisions will be out this Friday. Do they send out acceptance in batches? idk I just did an interview tonight lol. Btw I would choose Berkeley over Columbia MFE. I heard the internship rate for Columbia's MFE program is not that high this year. Berkeley's unique academic schedule allows students to do off-cycle internships. And I heard the career office at Berkeley is much better. idk
Hi @kkkznl, thank you for your reply. I think most of the decisions will be out on Friday. I have my decision early probably because I asked Linda to expedite my application, since I have deposit deadline due soon.
I think UCB is better in terms of career placement, but I would like to work in New York...so given my preference would Columbia be a better choice?
Good luck on your application!
 

bodeng

New Member
I see that many people voted for UCB MFE. But given the fact that I have little work experience, would it still be a better choice for me since many students at UCB MFE have some work experience, which is not the case for Columbia MFE.
 

kkkznl

New Member
Hi @kkkznl, thank you for your reply. I think most of the decisions will be out on Friday. I have my decision early probably because I asked Linda to expedite my application, since I have deposit deadline due soon.
I think UCB is better in terms of career placement, but I would like to work in New York...so given my preference would Columbia be a better choice?
Good luck on your application!
Hi @bodeng! I don't think the location should be a huge problem. I actually asked this tonight during my interview and my interviewer said that the companies send recruiters to Berkeley to conduct interviews for the first few rounds and they will fly you in and pay for your hotels for the superday. As for work experiences, since Berkeley's program doesn't start until 2020 March, I think you can probably find some part-time internship or off-cycle full-time internship for the coming fall to make up for that? I'm not sure but that's what I'm planning to do if I can get in. Hope it helps!
 

chamusyuan

Member
C++ Student
You may ask Columbia for an offer extension if you need more time. I got mine extended till next week:)
 

bodeng

New Member
Hi @bodeng! I don't think the location should be a huge problem. I actually asked this tonight during my interview and my interviewer said that the companies send recruiters to Berkeley to conduct interviews for the first few rounds and they will fly you in and pay for your hotels for the superday. As for work experiences, since Berkeley's program doesn't start until 2020 March, I think you can probably find some part-time internship or off-cycle full-time internship for the coming fall to make up for that? I'm not sure but that's what I'm planning to do if I can get in. Hope it helps!
@kkkznl Good info to know! Actually there is another factor that influence my decision between the two lol I am a UCB undergrad, so there is a some incentive for me to go to another place for further education. But nevertheless UCB is a fantastic school!
 

kkkznl

New Member
@kkkznl Good info to know! Actually there is another factor that influence my decision between the two lol I am a UCB undergrad, so there is a some incentive for me to go to another place for further education. But nevertheless UCB is a fantastic school!
Lol that makes a lot of sense. I guess I’m somewhat biased cuz I go to school in Chicago area and I just want to go somewhere warmer lol
 

FrozenZ

Member
If I were you, I would definitely take Columbia MFE(if there weren't any other programs to choose), because I just don't think California is a good place to study in finance related majors. But like kkkznl has mentioned, studying in UCB MFE doesn't necessarily narrow your possibility to work in New York, and UCB MFE does have a special track for students to do internships. Taking UCB MFE is definitely easier to guarantee a high-quality job, but Columbia has its name and its location, so you could balance and choose due to your preference.
 

Changyu

New Member
I think Columbia is better. Since you want to work in New York, Columbia has a better reputation in New York. According to the school website, only 1/3 students in UCB go to New York. Also, UCB's program starts in March, which means you need to gap half a year. Keep that in mind!
 
I am recluctant to choose 1 year masters .... As much as they may pack the same amount of information, I believe it won't allow you to appreciate the courseload and the experience of studying and meeting your peers. I would just take this into consideration. Other than that, UCB does seem to accept a better class profile.
 

Youlan Dai

Member
Hi @kkkznl, thank you for your reply. I think most of the decisions will be out on Friday. I have my decision early probably because I asked Linda to expedite my application, since I have deposit deadline due soon.
I think UCB is better in terms of career placement, but I would like to work in New York...so given my preference would Columbia be a better choice?
Good luck on your application!
Hello! How do you use one offer to expedite another offer? Did you show her the e-mail of offer or just tell her that there would be a deadline for deposit soon? By the way, which offer did you use?.. Thx
 

bodeng

New Member
Hello! How do you use one offer to expedite another offer? Did you show her the e-mail of offer or just tell her that there would be a deadline for deposit soon? By the way, which offer did you use?.. Thx
I emailed her with my Columbia offer attached
 

Rohittttt

New Member
You may ask Columbia for an offer extension if you need more time. I got mine extended till next week:)
Hi Chamusyuan/Others,

Did anyone try to extend the deadline. I wrote mail to the admissions team "admit@ieor.columbia.edu" for a deadline extension. But they do not care to reply. My deadline is 7th March (11:59 PM). Is there something I can do for them to expedite their response? Any specific contacts that you know, please help to share.
 

chamusyuan

Member
C++ Student
Hi Chamusyuan/Others,

Did anyone try to extend the deadline. I wrote mail to the admissions team "admit@ieor.columbia.edu" for a deadline extension. But they do not care to reply. My deadline is 7th March (11:59 PM). Is there something I can do for them to expedite their response? Any specific contacts that you know, please help to share.
I got an updated offer with ddl extended an hour later on Tuesday. Maybe you should call them directly given that today is the last day.
Good luck!
 
Top