• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE UCB MFE Waitlist

I applied for Round 3 for Spring 2022 and did one interview a week ago. I received a status update today with the following message:

"The admissions committee was impressed by your application and has decided to offer you a place on our waitlist for Spring 2022 term to the Berkeley Haas Master of Financial Engineering (MFE) Program.

Some applicants on the waitlist may receive an update to their admission status as early as one month after being placed on the waitlist. Others may not have a final decision until our application cycle closes.

Please note that we typically reserve spots every year for candidates who are placed on the waiting list. In an effort to enhance your chances of admission to the Berkeley MFE Program at this time, we strongly encourage you to start completing a series of items, herein referred to as “preparation”. You will find this tailored list of preparation items and their respective deadlines listed under "Preparation Checklist" when you log into your online application account. The Admissions Committee will review your file regularly to track your progress."

Does anybody know the chance of admission, given that I am willing to complete most of the "preparation"? It says they were impressed by my application and yet I was placed on the waitlist.

Hey! I don't have any information regarding the wait list process and conversion rate but I also applied by the Round 3 deadline and have my interview in a couple of days. Do you mind sharing your interview experience? What questions were asked,duration of the interview,etc? Sorry for going off topic but I could really use the help to prepare for mine. Thanks!
From what I've seen here on QN,UCB offers a lot of conditional offers,so there should be plenty of people to answer your question!

Sure. I won't be able to disclose anything specific but the interview seemed to be very tailored in terms of your experiences and skillsets on your resume/CV. For example, the interviewer asked me if I had any work experience in OOP. I said no and the interviewer did not bother to ask further questions about that topic. That being said, just make sure you know everything mentioned on your resume (e.g., coding, machine learning)

Congratulations! For UCB MFE, being on the waitlist shows potential for admission, but you will need to study a little more (indicated in your preparation list). I've seen some people in this forum receive admission after being on the waitlist. IMO, UCB cares a great deal about prospective students, and even merely completing the preparation list would put you in a better shape to find jobs in the field. So just be patient :)

Congratulations! For UCB MFE, being on the waitlist shows potential for admission, but you will need to study a little more (indicated in your preparation list). I've seen some people in this forum receive admission after being on the waitlist. IMO, UCB cares a great deal about prospective students, and even merely completing the preparation list would put you in a better shape to find jobs in the field. So just be patient :)
Thanks for the comment! Just curious, did you go to UCB MFE? If so, would you mind if I can ask you a few questions regarding the program?

I applied for Round 3 for Spring 2022 and did one interview a week ago. I received a status update today with the following message:

"The admissions committee was impressed by your application and has decided to offer you a place on our waitlist for Spring 2022 term to the Berkeley Haas Master of Financial Engineering (MFE) Program.

Some applicants on the waitlist may receive an update to their admission status as early as one month after being placed on the waitlist. Others may not have a final decision until our application cycle closes.

Please note that we typically reserve spots every year for candidates who are placed on the waiting list. In an effort to enhance your chances of admission to the Berkeley MFE Program at this time, we strongly encourage you to start completing a series of items, herein referred to as “preparation”. You will find this tailored list of preparation items and their respective deadlines listed under "Preparation Checklist" when you log into your online application account. The Admissions Committee will review your file regularly to track your progress."

Does anybody know the chance of admission, given that I am willing to complete most of the "preparation"? It says they were impressed by my application and yet I was placed on the waitlist.

Hey… what happened finally on this if you can update?

I received exact the same email on the waitlist and they listed a bunch of courses for me. They even need me to do the pre-program courses. I'd love to know how you deal with it?

I received exact the same email on the waitlist and they listed a bunch of courses for me. They even need me to do the pre-program courses. I'd love to know how you deal with it?
@ciciyang when did you submit your application? And how many days after submission did you receive the interview invite?

I submitted on Oct 1st, and got an interview invite a day after, and interviewed a week after that, and two days after interview, I got the waitlist with a list of courses they want me to take.
There are a few dozen of waitlisted people, but it is likely that some of them will be admitted periodically.

Back