• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE UCB on hold without guarantee

@hulim Hi! I just received a status update informing me that I am also held pending completion of an interview and I also interviewed last Wednesday... I'm also like super confused. Have you asked them about this?

@hulim Hi! I just received a status update informing me that I am also held pending completion of an interview and I also interviewed last Wednesday... I'm also like super confused. Have you asked them about this?
They just replied to my email today and told me that there would be another interview but no further info given. I guess we will know more when we receive the invitation email.

Yeah I also was informed that they will be sending out interview invites by next week.

Edit: Adding to that, does anyone know broadly what they will be testing in the interview rounds? I haven’t used statistics or programming in my current job for a while, and might be out of touch.

Last edited:
Any updates on this? Did you guys get any final confirmation?

Just received 2020 wl with 2021 guarantee without an interview. I am a bit confused. I thought an interview was necessary. 🤔 Does anyone know the chance of converting from WL to AD? I am thankful to the guarantee but it's nearly two years later..

Last edited:
Just received 2020 wl with 2021 guarantee without an interview. I am a bit confused. I thought an interview was necessary. 🤔 Does anyone know the chance of converting from WL to AD? I thankful to the guarantee but it's nearly two years later..
I am also offered 2020 waitlist and recommendation for 2021 admission. I am very confused about how the "delayed admission" works. Is it a guaranteed seat for 2021 as long as I complete all of their prerequisites or it is something else? Cuz they ask me to reapply the program in Dec.2019, pay the application fee again and write another application essay, which makes me suspect whether it is really guaranteed. I am completely fine with waiting and studying for one more year, just unsure how it works.

I really appreciate it if someone can educate me about how the delayed ad offer works.

I am also offered 2020 waitlist and recommendation for 2021 admission. I am very confused about how the "delayed admission" works. Is it a guaranteed seat for 2021 as long as I complete all of their prerequisites or it is something else? Cuz they ask me to reapply the program in Dec.2019, pay the application fee again and write another application essay, which makes me suspect whether it is really guaranteed. I am completely fine with waiting and studying for one more year, just unsure how it works.

I really appreciate it if someone can educate me about how the delayed ad offer works.
Hmm. We are on the same boat. I guess the guarantee works well without a doubt since UCB has been sending out guarantee admissions for many years. Btw, did you receive an interview?

Hmm. We are on the same boat. I guess the guarantee works well without a doubt since UCB has been sending out guarantee admissions for many years. Btw, did you receive an interview?
Yeah, I got an interview with an alumnus who works at portfolio management last Sunday. I am just kinda unsure about its delayed ad offer, cuz that means I have to reject other AD offers and makes me in a risky and dangerous condition if it is NOT really guaranteed.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got an interview with an alumnus who works at portfolio management last Sunday. I am just kinda unsure about its delayed ad offer, cuz that means I have to reject other AD offers and makes me in a risky and dangerous condition if it is NOT really guaranteed.
Hey, I also got the same decision, and feel unsure about the guarantee. Did you receive some official letter about this decision?

Hey, I also got the same decision, and feel unsure about the guarantee. Did you receive some official letter about this decision?
I do not know what do you refer to "official letter," but they indeed update my waitlist and 2021 "guarantee" admission status in my application system.
Actually, I also received admission from UCLA's MFE program and still am in a dilemma of deciding to go for which one.

I do not know what do you refer to "official letter," but they indeed update my waitlist and 2021 "guarantee" admission status in my application system.
Actually, I also received admission from UCLA's MFE program and still am in a dilemma of deciding to go for which one.
Have you receive any email from UCB that state your status?

Hi, I just received the hold status and long pre checklist without an interview just a couple of days after I submitted my application. Does this mean the rejection?

Hi, I just received the hold status and long pre checklist without an interview just a couple of days after I submitted my application. Does this mean the rejection?
hi could I know if you got an update from UCB now? I am in the same status for r3. Thanks!

Same here, I also received a long list even though I had previously sent certificates for many of the items (more than 80% of the items on the list). It seems to me as an indirect way of rejection. I will upload the certificates again and list the plans to finish the remaining requirements before the start of the program and let you know how it goes.

Does Berkeley ever send a reject status?

Back