• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE UCB Pre programs

Hi,

I wonder whether admitted UCB students have to take all three pre programs? Otherwise, the admission would be revoked?
I am worried that while working full time, in the same time taking these three courses would be not realistic.
Any current students have experience before?

Thanks!

Depends if the pre courses is said to be "required" or "recommended". If it is required, you do not really have a choice.
Also as a current student, I can say that the pre courses helped me a lot to be ready on the first day of the program.

Congratulations on admission! It depends on what pre programs you are talking about and how it was formulated in the letter. Can you be more specific?

Update:

Found the courses you mentioned. By just looking at the list and the time interval given for the courses I can guess they will try to squeeze all the information rapidly. So taking all 3 while you are a full time worker could be challenging. Ask them if you can take some of the courses by yourself during this full year before the program starts, as it will be much easier for you I think. Good luck!

P.S. The only course you can take really fast is the programming one. Others, e.g. math foundation depends on your current knowledge.

Depends if the pre courses is said to be "required" or "recommended". If it is required, you do not really have a choice.
Also as a current student, I can say that the pre courses helped me a lot to be ready on the first day of the program.

thanks!

Congratulations on admission! It depends on what pre programs you are talking about and how it was formulated in the letter. Can you be more specific?

Update:

Found the courses you mentioned. By just looking at the list and the time interval given for the courses I can guess they will try to squeeze all the information rapidly. So taking all 3 while you are a full time worker could be challenging. Ask them if you can take some of the courses by yourself during this full year before the program starts, as it will be much easier for you I think. Good luck!

P.S. The only course you can take really fast is the programming one. Others, e.g. math foundation depends on your current knowledge.

Thanks for the reply! My plan is to definitely take two of them, but not sure whether I can handle three courses and work in the same time.

Thanks for the reply! My plan is to definitely take two of them, but not sure whether I can handle three courses and work in the same time.

I would then recommend trying to find centers near your location which are capable of providing those courses and take them "slowly", so you can work at the same time too.

Back