• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB's waitlist vs UCLA scholarship offer

I currently live in LA with my family and considered quant program at west-coast only.

I was offered a waitlist spot by UCB after being placed “on hold” for over 6 months. They said “waitlist” does not mean that they do not have spots available at this time, but the admissions committee would like to further consider your file”.

I have offer from UCLA with scholarship and the program will start soon. I am afraid if I accept UCB’s waitlist, I may have to put time and efforts on their pre-courses but still no admission guarantees. Is it wise take the risk to accept UCB’s waitlist offer?

If they put you on hold for 6 months the chances of offer are slim and even if they do make an offer there won't be any $$. So you need to decide between a free ride to UCLA vs Paid UCB in the end. From what I hear UCLA has just an avg program housed in a good University run by an absentee director. Don't expect too much guidance and career support. But isn't that's the whole point of MFE. Pretty much you are paying for the UCLA brand as the teaching is just plain run of the mill and in your case none however westwood is a great place to live too and beats Berekely any day!

Thanks Philip. The scholarship from UCLA won’t be a free ride, but will cover a certain part of tuition. However, I can save some living expenses by staying with my family in LA, and enjoy some family time easily. UCLA program is short, and base on my search on this web, their career service improved a lot in recent years. However, my feeling is that I can be placed on the job market quickly, and gain some experiences. However, I won’t expect the job can be a high starting point in the finance industry. I can expect a better job starting point if I can be admitted by UCB from WL. However, I’ll place myself at risk by investing time and money on their pre-program courses but end with nothing.

Last edited:
the program is a bit weak but based on your situation just do ucla and hopefully you can end up a decent job. waiting for berkeley is too risky and the cost might not be worth it. the money and time you save is huge. when i was still in college, i went to couple of their info sessions and career events for their inaugural class. i liked what i saw. but again ucla mfe is not comparable to some of the east coast programs and their placement in sellside, where most of the big banks are, is still horrible.

Last edited:
Many thanks. I am just wondering do anyone here had any conception/experience transferring from UCB’s WL to an admission offer? Do they have fixed number of positions and will select candidates from the list? Or the position availability depends on how many dropped off from their admission offer finally?

Last edited:
Among the schools, the diff lie in the intial break you get and intial conditions can have larger variations at later period.

Take a trip to berekely and meet with Linda personally to make a pitch; it wont make any diff but you wont be left with the nagging sense that you didn't give it a full try before settling on UCLA.

Thanks Philip. The scholarship from UCLA won’t be a free ride, but will cover a certain part of tuition. However, I can save some living expenses by staying with my family in LA, and enjoy some family time easily. UCLA program is short, and base on my search on this web, their career service improved a lot in recent years. However, my feeling is that I can be placed on the job market quickly, and gain some experiences. However, I won’t expect the job can be a high starting point in the finance industry. I can expect a better job starting point if I can be admitted by UCB from WL. However, I’ll place myself at risk by investing time and money on their pre-program courses but end with nothing.

Back