• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chicago MSFM UChicago FinMath Result

I am in a huge dilemma now… 60% scholarship from here, Columbia MathFin, or NYU MFE 7k scholarship
I would personally put these programs really on-par with each other. Unless you have a strong reason why, Name of school for international students (Columbia), 2-year program (NYU) then financials are important. Chicago's offer is really good, congrats.

I am in a huge dilemma now… 60% scholarship from here, Columbia MathFin, or NYU MFE 7k scholarship
I'm in a very similar situation right now... kind of leaning towards Chicago as I feel the curriculum is better, but also thinking that Columbia is bigger name for intl students as a termination degree. Would love to hear your thought though

I’m in a similar situation. In my opinion, Chicago’s international reputation is comparable to Columbia’s. The only downside of attending Chicago is safety around campus area. Look, not all parts of East Asia are safe, and we certainly can tolerate the occasional snatch thefts and verbal insults, but the chance of being randomly shot at is a whole new territory…

I’m in a similar situation. In my opinion, Chicago’s international reputation is comparable to Columbia’s. The only downside of attending Chicago is safety around campus area. Look, not all parts of East Asia are safe, and we certainly can tolerate the occasional snatch thefts and verbal insults, but the chance of being randomly shot at is a whole new territory…
This is one of my major concerns of Chicago. I am from the NJ/NY area and went to undergrad in NJ. My family and practically my whole life has been in this area. To up and move even if for just 1.5 yrs is certainly a difficult decision. Not doubt UChicago is one of the prestigious programs, but have to look at the whole picture.

Hi! I work at the University of Chicago and would very much like to speak to the steps the University of Chicago has taken in in response to these horrific crimes. Our UChicago Police Department, UCPD, and city police department, CPD, have increased their both numbers and presence, on campus and throughout the Hyde Park area. Students are given 10 free Lyft rides each month, and additional security measures, pod cameras, blue light telephones, and a new UCPD operations center, have been put in place as well. Please feel free to reach out if you would like to speak to myself or a student about our experiences in Hyde Park.

Hi @Meredith
Thanks for the reply.
However, I would like to know when does the university releases the final decision for a candidate who's waitlisted? Any tentative date?

Last edited:
I'm in a very similar situation right now... kind of leaning towards Chicago as I feel the curriculum is better, but also thinking that Columbia is bigger name for intl students as a termination degree. Would love to hear your thought though
On my end, I am not an international student. However, I definitely am looking for the program that would build my knowledge in math and programming and help me build my career towards quant research. Ideally since I’m from the NY/NJ area my dream would be to be in the NY area.

Hi @Meredith
Thanks for the reply.
However, I would like to know when does the university releases the final decision for a candidate who's waitlisted? Any tentative date?
We're hopeful that many candidates on our waitlist will receive an update in the next few weeks.

Hi all,
Is there any Whatsapp/Discord group for UChicago admitted students? If not, I will make one and share the link here.

I don’t think we have one. Let’s create one it would be very helpful. I just DMes you

did anyone in the waitlist get an update?
I believe you will know more as people start finalizing their offers. As of now, students with great profiles are holding multiple offers. 15th April is a deposit deadline for a lot of unis. (UCLA, UChicago, Cornell, NCSU(Fellowship students))

Everyone who got an admit and/or planning to join the program in Autumn 2022, please join this group. We can exchange info., plans, etc. with each other.

We'll start the official cohort Teams Channel in a few weeks, you all are so on it! In the meantime, I hope you'll all join next Wednesday's AMA for Admitted Students!

still wondering when I can hear back as im waitlisted? should i assume the decision will come out with round2?

Back