• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chicago MSFM UChicago FinMath Result

Hi @agie, I received the same (accept+30%). I've gotten offers from Tandon and Georgia Tech.

I'm in a dilemma on which school to choose. What else did you get into? And what school are you considering joining?

Hi @agie, I received the same (accept+30%). I've gotten offers from Tandon and Georgia Tech.

I'm in a dilemma on which school to choose. What else did you get into? And what school are you considering joining?
First off HUGE Congrats! If I were in your shoes I would choose according to the industry/region in which I'm planning to work. Both New York and Chicago are well-known financial hubs. Chicago seems to be a fairly economical choice if you haven't received any scholarship from Tandon, and Gatech too is pretty good economically. Well, in that regard purely, Stony Brook QF is the way to go at (45k) tuition. 😛😛

Secondly, Just going by rankings, the University of Chicago itself is among the top US universities (US News) rankings and so is their FinMath program specifically (on Quantnet). NYU closely follows UChicago in university rankings and leads marginally in program rankings. Gatech lags behind in either.
But keeping ranking metrics aside (however lucrative they may seem to adhere to), I feel the Chicago offer is the one to go for. They do seem to update their curriculum as per industry standards/demands. (got this info. talking to alumni)

Could you tell me how long you have to accept either of the three offers (NYU, Chicago, Gatech)? I'm still waiting for both Chicago and Gatech decisions.

Last edited:
Chicago might not be as economical as you suggest; NYU's program costs ~70k for two years while Chicago's program costs ~68k for 15 months (post scholarship).

Rankings: Chicago is more prestigious compared to NYU and GaTech. However, note that this program is offered by the math department and not by econ / finance faculties which Chicago is better known for. What's the reason that Chicago ranks below Tandon in QuantNet rankings?

I have about two weeks time to accept NYU / GaTech; I have until April for Chicago.

Last edited:
Chicago might not be as economical as you suggest; NYU's program costs ~70k for two years while Chicago's program costs ~68k for 15 months (post scholarship).

Rankings: Chicago is more prestigious compared to NYU and GaTech. However, note that this program is offered by the math department and not by econ / finance faculties which Chicago is better known for. What's the reason that Chicago ranks below Tandon in QuantNet rankings?

I have about two weeks time to accept either NYU and GaTech; I have until April for Chicago.
So economically speaking, a longer program is not necessarily "cheaper" in the sense that you forgo 6 months of time in which you could be working (either paid-internship or full-time). Hence, you should ideally take the entire 2 years time frame of your life into the equation when comparing programs. Like for UCB MFE considering the program is 8months-1year long only, would make it incomparably expensive, but the fact that you get the degree so soon itself is considered a "pro" by many folks, coz they can get working professionally.

One reason why people might wanna stay in college longer (2 year vs 1.5y) is so that they get more time to interview and get the desired job.

In either case, if your goal is to get a job, evaluate how soon you can become job ready (interview ready). If you need two years then so be it. 1.5 years is good enough. 1 year(UCB MFE) is kinda tight.

ive also been accepted with partial fee waiver. I agree with alanwake's argument that one needs to factor in the opportunity cost too.

Hey! Congrats buddy. I just got acceptance from UChicago till the point. I currently work at UChicago only and would be happy to help if you have any questions about UChicago or Chicago in general. Feel free to DM me!

First off HUGE Congrats! If I were in your shoes I would choose according to the industry/region in which I'm planning to work. Both New York and Chicago are well-known financial hubs. Chicago seems to be a fairly economical choice if you haven't received any scholarship from Tandon, and Gatech too is pretty good economically. Well, in that regard purely, Stony Brook QF is the way to go at (45k) tuition. 😛😛

Secondly, Just going by rankings, the University of Chicago itself is among the top US universities (US News) rankings and so is their FinMath program specifically (on Quantnet). NYU closely follows UChicago in university rankings and leads marginally in program rankings. Gatech lags behind in either.
But keeping ranking metrics aside (however lucrative they may seem to adhere to), I feel the Chicago offer is the one to go for. They do seem to update their curriculum as per industry standards/demands. (got this info. talking to alumni)

Could you tell me how long you have to accept either of the three offers (NYU, Chicago, Gatech)? I'm still waiting for both Chicago and Gatech decisions.
Wow, that’s great analysis.

Nope, the first and only email I got from UChicago was an notification of the outcome.

Hello guys, I have received an email from UChicago, saying my application is now under review. Have you received the same email before your decision?
I emailed them today and they said mine is under review and that’d id hear back by March 10th. Idk if that’s the same as y’all

Back