• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE UCLA MFE vs U Chicago MSFM (35% Scholarship)

UCLA MFE vs UChicago MSFM (35% Scholarship)

• UCLA MFE

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • UChicago MSFM

Votes: 32 88.9%

• Total voters
I got admits from UCLA MFE and UChicago MSFM (with 35% scholarship). Please help me decide between the two programs. Below is my background.

Engineering Graduate from a Tier 1 College in India (Not in Computer Science) with a minor degree in Finance.​
I have already cleared CFA L1 and will clear (hopefully) CFA L2 by the time I join in Fall 2021.​
2 years of work experience as a quantitative analyst in the Risk Management division for Credit Suisse. The work was mostly related to regression models and the use of econometrics.​

Average coding skills (I am working on improving this before the start of the program)​

Strong Finance and statistics knowledge.​

Mention a few lines about what you wish or not wish to do post graduation and that will help others to guide you better. For example: if you are looking for trading roles, the MSFM is no brainer.

Sure, I have worked a bit on financial models and I found model/ strategy development to be interesting. I don't have any exposure to quant research or quant trading. But, I would love to work in those areas. If buy side doesn't work out, I am fine with some quant role in IBs.

I don't want to work as a data scientist in banks or IT companies.

I totally agree with @EverythingPOINT, if you want to work as a Quant Trader, Chicago is the better option. Else it is 50-50.
You should also consider that Chicago MSFM program in under their Physical Sciences dept. where as the UCLA FE program is in their business school. Based on my research a few folks from UCLA do go for non quant roles.
I think if you are sure about Quant, you can go for UChicago(given that you have secured a scholarship as well) and if you wish to explore other non-quant areas, UCLA might be a better fit.

Back