• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE UCLA MFE vs UChicago MSFM

hi,
I'm curious to know what people think about UCLA mfe. I've read a lot of bad reviews regarding UofC recently and people seem to like the education they're getting @ UCLA. However, since UCLA is a relatively new program, I'm worried that its brand name isn't as good as UofC and it'll be hard to get a job after. I found a 2 year old thread...and people recommended UofC over UCLA. They did not say why but I assume if was due to the UofC brand. Just curious if this has changed much after 2 years. Is UCLA mfe considered as a tier2 program?

Sorry for posting in your thread but I am wondering if UCLA grads can compete with UCB grads in getting jobs in the West coast?

I think my ranking would be UCB > UCLA > UC.
Oh my, how low has Chicago fallen.
There was an interview question where someone was asked to rank a few things, regardless of which way they come up the criteria.

In this case, you should also come up with reason why you think X > Y > Z.
We are all quantitative-inclined people here so it's only fair to demand that.

UChicago has made a lot of changes in the last 1-2 years... some of the reviews were written in years prior to the changes... I don't know if they are still valid... your best bet would be to contact current UChicago students.

Even I will agree with junemfe..specially on faculty front n placement seems to be picking up although hard to compete with UCB
What are the class sizes for respective courses?
@andy..are u surprised by the fall?

UChicago has made a lot of changes in the last 1-2 years... some of the reviews were written in years prior to the changes... I don't know if they are still valid... your best bet would be to contact current UChicago students.
You mean the review was written in last year?
http://www.quantnet.com/review-chicago-msfm-program/
And the article we wrote about Chicago almost a year ago?
http://www.quantnet.com/chicago-msfm-fired-founding-director/

Look at the comments by their students. It was as recent as couple months ago. Do you know what kind of changes have they made? I'm curious as well.

Tough choice, two very different programs, difficult for comparison, much easier to compare UCLA and berkeley. Also, depends on if you want to stay in CA and Chicago, both should do well in their respected area.

Also, depends on if you want to stay in CA and Chicago, both should do well in their respected area.
For an international student, CA or Chicago isnt a criteria. The foremost question is which one has more reputation?

For an international student, CA or Chicago isnt a criteria. The foremost question is which one has more reputation?
Are you paying 60K-100K or whatever it is to buy the reputation and bring back to your country? If so, go to the most famous university you can afford.
Reputation does not always translate into jobs which is #1 concern for foreign students who want to start their career in the US after study.
UCLA MFE does not post full-time employment stat for 2010, only the 2009 is available http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x23809.xml
Chicago MSFM does not post any stats.

Yes Andy, I totally agree that #1 concern is career in US. I kind of assumed that good reputation of course implies good chances of getting job immediately after course.
Any good course should give stats, I hope these 2 courses give soon. It will also help pocari to make decision. ;)

Currently I'm leaning towards UCLA. I believe I'll get better quality of education there. I have yet to read something bad about the UCLA program regarding the faulty. Apparently all 120 students @ UChicago belong to one class...I can imagine that access to professors during/after class would be limited. I'm an international student so the brand name does matter quite a bit. but I agree with Andy that paying 60k just for brand name doesn't sound like a good idea.

The UofC office sent me the career stats of the 08-09 class...if anyone is interested

Attachments

• 2008 2009 Graduate Statistics.pdf
    95.7 KB · Views: 139
I agree the placement at UCB is better but I doubt that I'll have any chance of getting in :)

Did you try at UCLA office..I think they can give you stats if you have already got the admit.

Remember while you can look at the placement reports, you can't trust everything you see there.
The UCLA 2010 class was better in terms of placement (more students found job at graduation) than 2009 class, due to the economy/job market.

>> better quality of education
I think that depends on you ,which program do you see yourself fit the best? One is in business school, one is financial mathematics. Without knowing your background, Can't you get a job in Chicago and attend the program part-time there, that seem to be most cost-effective.

I'm not going to disclose the details, I don't feel it's my responsibility to disclose that either. hey, my source told me the information can be lying to me too, who knows for sure. But I will say I have 90% confidence.

If the candidate is very interested in a program, he/she should find out by asking the admission directly and/or through other means. As I just happen to interview a candidate today, I can tell if he's really interested in the position. That's my two cents.

Back