• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCLA MFE UCLA MFE?

Matthew Graham

Quantneter
Does anyone have any thoughts on the likely quality of the UCLA MFE program? I applied to Berkeley and UCLA only. I have an MBA from the Simon School (University of Rochester), 770 GMAT's, and have "hold" status for Berkeley. I applied for the last UCLA deadline and have not heard anything back as of yet.

Thank you.
Matthew Graham

search this forum. There is a thread about that program somewhere here

I too applied for Berkeley and UCLA only. I was offered admission at UCLA couple weeks ago. Haven't heard anything from Berkeley though.

Good luck!

Mat,

yoour profile is too good for UCLA man...!! You should be in for Berkeley ! I also applied for ucla around their deadline and have not heard from them...!! so dont knw wats next in for me..!! will apply to other schools for 2009 session.

Thanks,

Kshitij

Here is my rejection letter from UCLA:
UCLA MFE Rejection Letter

I'm really disappointed, but I'm not giving up. Thanks for your kind words.

Hey Matthew, bummer about the UCLA thing.

Personally, I think with that GMAT, you don't deserve UCLA. You deserve better.

Looks like lack of having the math classes did you in. Calc 1 and 2 doesn't even scratch the surface.

There are other programs out there that will let you in on the condition that you take care of the prereqs after admission. UCLA is just doing it's thing to be snotty and maintain a high status quo with the importance of first impressions and all that.

UCLA negged me even for college when I got into all these schools that are way higher ranked than it. They have an interesting admissions process.

One thing I"m curious about.... why did the the elimination of the uptick rule decimate your company's shorting business. Wouldn't it be easier and more lucrative for shorts to get rid of that rule.

You can actually get short stocks that are going down and that people are selling into rather than taking a chance at sticking your face in a volcano that's exploding shorting on an uptick when there's huge buying pressure!

MFE Advice- UCLA Rejection

Thank you to everyone for the advice and kind words provided upon my sharing of my rejection from UCLA. I have made a compilation of the advice I have received:

MFE Advice

I will add to to the list as others weigh in with their thoughts!

Thanks, Matthew

If you take the math GRE subject test, a score in top 25% would be helpful. Top 20% would be even better.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the likely quality of the UCLA MFE program? I applied to Berkeley and UCLA only. I have an MBA from the Simon School (University of Rochester), 770 GMAT's, and have "hold" status for Berkeley. I applied for the last UCLA deadline and have not heard anything back as of yet.

Thank you.
Matthew Graham

Hi Matthew,

Have you heard anything from Berkeley yet? Has your status changed?

Hi,
I want to apply for UCLA too. I will attend the GRE sub Math on 4/4.
And the deadline of UCLA is:
31 March,
29 May and
31 July.

Should I apply it after I get the GRE sub Math score?
Also, is it easier to to admitted if I apply earlier?

Question

hi guys,

im currently an undergrad at UCLA and I am too interested in their prestige vs. USC's math finance program. if you could shed some light on this, it would be great.

also, did any of you apply straight out of undergrad or did all of you worked a couple of years? Thank you very much for any input!

Are you asking specifically for the UCLA MFE program vs USC MathFin as opposed to the school in general?
I have talked to the people running the UCLA program and I have a feeling they are actively working to improve it.
You can ALWAYS find a mix of undergrads and experienced professionals in EVERY program. Some have more of one group than others. Some program will specifically require work experience.

Hello everyone!

I'm interested in the UCLA MFE program but I'm in a huge dilemma right now!I will first give you my profile and then I will tell you what I seek advice for!

I'm a BSc holder from the National & Kapodistrian University Of Athens,Greece in IT with a GPA of 7.21/10 and I took the GRE today for the first time, with a score of 720 in Quant section!

The problem is that the score is not very high,compared to 786 of the 2010 class and I'm so confused over this...Should I retake the test,taken into consideration the stress,effort and money it involves,or should I apply as is?

Back